SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

(Solved) - Windows 8 log-in page freezing up, anyone else experienced this?

(10 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Fhirkin9
  • Latest reply from Fhirkin9
  • Topic Viewed 2585 times

Fhirkin9

If I boot my Win8 PRO pc (OEM fresh install) and walk away prior to signing in as a User there have been several occasions where the "lock screen" has frozen and will not revel the user list. Mouse clicks and keyboard presses are seemingly ineffective and I have to resort to holding the power button to turn off the PC, not a wise move. I did get squirrely last night and did an extreme shaking and right clicking mouse gesture which worked on unfreezing the initial screen, allowing me to log-in. Is there some setting I can do to avoid this "delay in log-in screen freeze"? This is not a case where Hibernate has kicked in, I checked those settings.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar

I actually gave up on Windows 8 after 2 BSOD's in 2 days, going to stick with Win 7 until an SP1 for Win 8 comes out, think there's a lot of bugs in the new OS

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9

I can see where having the choice between the two OSs would be utilitarian. I had to choose which one to purchase and, since Release Preview did not have any issues, I thought Win8 was the way to go...I wanted to be in on the ground floor of the new OS, so to speak. I guess I could always buy a Win7 OEM license as well, but it is not transferrable the way Win8 OEMs are.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar

I never had any bad experiences with Window 7 so far after using it for the last 2 years. It's a pity about Windows 8 as it was starting to grow on me. It good to have the choice OK. I think there will be a lot of people reporting issues with Windows 8 going forward until at least Microsoft release a service pack for it. Personal I think the OS was pushed out to fast, but that's just my opinion!

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Next time, try rolling the wheel on the mouse.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9

@whs The mouse wheel does the trick every time. Much obliged!

Posted 1 year ago

whs

You are welcome. But why don't you automate the login. Typw NETPLWIZ on the start screen and open that app. There you have to uncheck the little box and enter your password twice. Then OK. After that, you'll log in automatically.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

But why don't you automate the login?

Because the window shade type opening is so cute.

(Thanks for the info)

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Yeah it's cute. But the automatic opening is a lot faster. This was my boot on an early version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAJeKCeXlUU

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9

Having to log in does provide the ability to prevent the children from having admin privileges as well.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.