Windows 8 has intermitten performance

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by jhwalker
  • Latest reply from Fhirkin9
  • Topic Viewed 592 times

jhwalker
jhwalker

Hi guys,
I have recently been taking Windows 8 Release Preview for a test-drive in a VHD on my year-old Compaq laptop (Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit). It is very smooth, but for some reason when I first logon the CPU idles at 70%, even when I am doing nothing and as a consequence the fan is permanently on. After around half an hour of use, the fan spins down and the CPU idles at around 1-6%, less than Windows 7 at around 5-13%. Is there any reason as to why this is occurring, and can I fix it? I would really like to upgrade to Windows 8 but will not if I cannot be sure that this problem will not plague me when I upgrade - having the fan permanently on is really distracting whilst I am working.
Any help would be gladly appreciated in this matter.
jhwalker

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

Could there be a virus scan going on each time you boot? That would explain the CPU load.....

Posted 1 year ago

jhwalker
jhwalker

Definitely not Fhirkin9... wondering if it could be anything to do with device drivers etc. as I haven't installed anything etc. Could it be graphics??? The CPU (Pentium) doesn't need drivers right???

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

It seems to me the drivers would be taken care of in Win7, not the VHD...but I am not certain... Have you viewed the Performance Monitor in the Win8 side when the CPU undergoing this load? From the Metro screen, right click on a blank area and hit All Apps, then find the Performance Monitor app...it is also in the C drive (of the VHD?) in WIndows/System32 folder

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!