How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

(Solved) - Windows 8, from hard drive to ssd

(38 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Paula90
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1635 times

whs
whs

A temp file is a temp file and should be temporary. I am not a games expert but temp files can usually go.

PS: It's past midnight here. We'll continue tomarrow. And don't worry. I have done those migrations many times. For myself (I have 7 SSDs) and for friends. It may sound intimidating, but I'll break it down into simple steps for you.

In the meantime try to get this C partition to a maximum of 80GB. You will need some breathing space and the SSD should have 20% free space for Garbage Collection to function efficiently. If you don't quite make it, we'll get it from the hiberfile and pagefile. That's 14GBs.

Posted 1 year ago

Paula90

ok, see you tomorrow, ill be here by 3 :D Thank you so much

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I am back. Give me an update on how much you have left on C at this time.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Paula90

150 GB
without documents or videos or photos
only programs
no music either

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

That is still far too much. It is probably your games. You will have to uninstall those and reinstall them once you are on the SSD and direct them to a folder on the spinning disk.

PS. What is 3PM for you. In what time zone are you. I am in EST

Posted 1 year ago

Paula90

hour = UTC-6
do you know how to uninstall my games but keep the progress?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

No, Unfortunately I cannot help you with that. Never played a computer game in my life - not even hearts. Why don't you start a new thread and ask the question. I am sure there are some people that would know.

But those games have to go. Else C will not fit on the SSD.

So you are somewhere in the midwest (Central)

Posted 1 year ago

Paula90

ok so its 67 GB by now, what do i do next?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Next you have to format the SSD (I assume the SSD is installed in your box - else you have to put it into an external enclosure).

Right click on the Windows 8 Start menu and click on 'All Apps' (on the bottom right). Here find 'Command Prompt' and right click on it. On the bottom left click on 'Run as administrator'.

Once the little black command prompt window opens, type or paste those commands one after another and hit Enter after each command. Make sure you use the exact command lines as shown. Command prompt is very finagle and will not work if you make a parameter or space mistake. These are the commands:

Diskpart
List disk
Select disk n (where n is the number that was given for your SSD in List disk)
Clean
Create partition primary align=1024
Format fs=ntfs quick
Active
Exit

When you are done with that, You have to take an image of your current C partition and the 350MB system partition. Best is to use free Macrium. Here is how.

Once you are done with that, post back and then we will get you the Macrium restore CD and restore the C and system partitions to the SSD. Don't bother to create the restore CD yourself. It would take several hours to make the WinPE CD and the Linux version is useless. I have uploaded it all ready made and we'll go with that.

Posted 1 year ago

Paula90

is there any other way to clone it or make it without cds? I dont have any right now :/

Posted 1 year ago

Paula90

i have already done the command prompt thing

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Will the machine boot from a USB port ??

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

You will have to put the image to some external drive or an internal partition which needs to be larger than 45GBs. You will not be able to proceed unless you have space somewhere for the image and a CD to burn the recovery WinPE CD.

The only other option I see is to do a completely new reinstall.

Post a screenshot of your Disk Management and we'll see what can be done with your internal disk.

Posted 1 year ago

Paula90

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs,

Might want to take a look at this because most windows 8 machines are shipped with GPT formated disk.

http://technet.microsoft.com/e.....25686.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/e.....25109.aspx

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Thanks Rick.

Paula, looks simple. Make a partition of the 299GB of unallocated space and store your image there. There should be enough room for about 7 Macrium images. So you can reimage your system from time to time before you have to delete any.

Once you have the image of C and the first 300MB system partition, you can restore them to the SSD.

Posted 1 year ago

Paula90

and how do I image my drive, with your Sky Drive Win PE? and how do I copy the other 300MB of the system partition .And restoring them? sorry but I really have no idea :S

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Just image both partition (check both partitions on the Macrium control window - but make sure the other partitions are unchecked). Here is a video tutorial that will explain.

In this tutorial you find also a link to another tutorial by Kado explaining the recovery process. All you really have to do is drag the 2 partitions from the image to the SSD within the Macrium recovery window - you'll see.

For both, imaging and recovery you can use the WinPE CD. But for imaging you can also use an installed free Macrium. The WinPE .iso you can download from here. Burn it to CD with ImgBurn.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!