The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

(Solved) - Windows 8, from hard drive to ssd

(38 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Paula90
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1635 times

Paula90

I've been having a lot of trouble since I bought an new SSD and wanted to change from my old HDD to this new one.
I don't have a lot of space in the new drive so I can't simply clone it.
I would like to put the OS and a little extra software and games on the new one and keep pics and docs in the old one.
Any help? If it is of any use I have two SATA ports and an extra HDD.
Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

whs

1. Make a data partition and move all your user data there.

2. Make sure the C partition is the active partition. If not, copy the bootmgr to C. Here is how.

3. Format and align the SSD. Here is how.

4. Make an image of C and restore that to the SSD. Make sure there is less data on C than the capacity of the SSD will hold. For imaging and restore see here.

Note: If you download and burn the WinPE .iso from my skydrive, you need not install Macrium. You can make the image and restore with the CD. Imaging with the CD is exactly the same as with the installed Macrium. And for the restore, you need this CD anyhow.

TRY NOT TO PRODUCE THE WINPE CD YOURSELF FROM WITHIN MACRIUM. IT WILL TAKE YOU SEVERAL HOURS.

Posted 1 year ago

Paula90

Thank you so much!
Now do you know if there is a way for me not to reinstall all the programs
in the old drive and keep them there in another partition or even in another drive?
so that when I am using the SSD for OS it can like "know" its program files are in the other drive

Posted 1 year ago

whs

If you transfer the OS with an image, the whole OS will be on the SSD - including the program files. It will be like it was the minute you took the image.

Posted 1 year ago

Paula90

ok, but what i meant was how to i put the program files in another drive and have the OS know they are there but not in the same drive

Posted 1 year ago

whs

a) Why would you want to do that. It takes away the performance advantage of an SSD

b) it cannot be done in 20/20 hindsight. For new program installations you could direct the installer to install the program files into another folder on another drive. Works for most programs.

c) what is your problem. Why do you want to go thru such elaborate setup. The whole OS belongs on the SSD and it should easily fit on even a small (e.g. 30GB) SSD including a lot of programs (not big games though).

Posted 1 year ago

Paula90

a) because there are a lot of software that i don't care about running that fast
b)ok
c) sorry, I'm very very new and I didn't know that my process was that complicated

Posted 1 year ago

whs

a) programs do not take a lot of space. I would not worry about a few programs more or less. Keeping them together is the best - believe me.

c) the process is not complicated if you know the steps. Tell me how big is your SSD and how big is your C partition right now including the user files.

PS: There is an easy way to move your OS with the Partagon migration tool. It costs $20. Does it in 3 clicks.

Posted 1 year ago

Paula90

c) SSD is 111 GB and HDD OS (C) partition size is 372 GB and 216 GB used which 40 GB are of Documents that I'm already moving

Posted 1 year ago

whs

There must be a lot more stuff in C than the 40GB of Docs. How about Pictures, Videos, Music. Move all this stuff out.

The OS should not be more than 30GB if tuned and 40GB if not tuned.

Questions:

1. How much RAM do you have
2. Would you be willing to spend the $20 for the Paragon migration tool or would you rather do the migration the geeky (more complex) way.

Posted 1 year ago

Paula90

a) there is, its actually 216 GB including the 40 in docs, I have no pics or videos and thanks for reminding me about music.
1.- 8gb
2.-geeky way, I have no way to spend money in the web :/

Posted 1 year ago

whs

With 8GB of RAM we can already save 14GB by eliminating the hiberfile and reducing the pagefile to 2GB (I do that on all my systems)

ad a)the 216 GB minus 40GB of docs minus the OS still leaves at least 130GB+ unaccounted for. What is this stuff. You better run WinDirStat to find out. http://windirstat.info/

Posted 1 year ago

Paula90

using WinDirStat ill tell you what happens

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Just for your info - have a look at my Windows 8. My C partition is barely 40GB and I have over 21GB free.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Posted 1 year ago

Paula90

it is mainly bsa files, avi and mkv files of movies that i have to move and dll,sb,sys,temp,csd that i don't know what they are.

Posted 1 year ago

Paula90

deleted avi and mkv files
25 GB less

Posted 1 year ago

whs

So a lot of videos. I thought so because they can take up a lot of room. Forget the system files (.dlls, etc) those have to stay. The temp files you should eliminate. Run CCleaner: http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Posted 1 year ago

whs

What are those BSA files. They could be from some games or some compressed archive files. You know anything about those.

Posted 1 year ago

Paula90

the temp file is 14 GB and its World of warcraft file, are you sure nothing will happen if i delete it?

Posted 1 year ago

Paula90

and bsa are skyrim and wow

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.