The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Windows 8 Consumer Preview Installation Error

(10 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by dusky
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 4230 times

dusky

I used the file that microsoft has on its website (its like 5 megabytes) from : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I then went through the whole process, download the preview etc....
i plan to boot it up as usb. i go through the install now process, the keyboard setup etc... until i come to the upgrade or custom install.

After selecting the "Upgrade" installation, it gives me a Compatibility Report message
( http://i.imgur.com/9lu3N.jpg )

The message says,

" The computer started using the Windows installation disc. Remove the installation disc and restart your computer so that Windows starts normally. Then, insert the installation disc and restart the upgrade. (Do not select "Custom (advanced)“ to perform an upgrade. "Custom (advanced)“ installs a new copy of Windows and deletes your programs and setting.) "

it doesnt allow me to continue
ive downloaded the same 3.3 gig file twice making sure its 64 bit, same as my current windows 7

any ideas? spent 7 hours on this omg so open to any ideas

thanks

Edit by mod, your first link was a direct download link which is strictly forbidden on HTG

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Hi dusky ,

Welcome to HTG ,

Firstly your link is giving a poor report.

Secondly did you download an .iso file or a .exe ?

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Are you trying to do a clean install, or an upgrade install??

Posted 2 years ago

pawya

small dbt sir, actually i already install win 7 in c and win8 in d drive ,, after long time i just format the c drive and reinstall win 7 bt now only win 7 is cmg no option is nt mention to choose win8 what can i do nw

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Pawya ,

Please start a New Topic for your question.

Thank You.

Posted 2 years ago

dusky

xhi, its an upgrade install.
guiltyspark, I downloaded the iso and i 'burnt it onto a usb with the microsoft usb tool. I then proceeded to boot from usb from bios but it came up with the compatibility report. I then downloaded it through the .exe which allowed me to put it on the usb (the program does it for you). I then tried to boot it from usb through bios but the same compatability report came up. So essentially I tried both ways. All together I think ive downloaded like 2 or 3 versions of windows 8 consumer preview 64 bit.
thanks

Posted 2 years ago

Vilecoyote

Installation of Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Thanks HTG = Me with a heart condition and after careful following of your instructions
On successful instalation I had a look at the drive letter notifications
WTF - Angina set in = There was my newly installed Windows8 beta - but on Drive C:
not on Drive F: as I had carfully indicated to install to.
Crips - I've overwitten my Windows7 partition - or so I Thought.
Ah Well might as well reboot and see what damage - to my surprise nay Delight
there was the original Windows7 where it should be on Drive C:
So it appears that the Primary Drive letter changes with whatever operating System is chosen
Phew!!!! - Ten anti angina tablets later

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Yup!

Posted 2 years ago

NKatz131

This is in reference to the instructions on how to install the Windows 8 Developer Preview without re-partitioning (http://www.howtogeek.com/75286/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-and-8-without-re-partitioning-using-vhd/)

I followed the instructions to the T and keep getting the following error when trying to install Windows 8 from the virtual drive:
C:\Install-WindowsImage.ps1 : Cannot validate argument on parameter ‘WIM’. The ” Test-Path $_ ” validation script for t
he argument with value “H:\Sources\Install.wim” did not return true. Determine why the validation script failed and the
n try the command again.
At line:1 char:32
+ .\Install-WindowsImage.ps1 -WIM <<<< H:\Sources\Install.wim -Apply -Index 1 -Destination G:\
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:) [Install-WindowsImage.ps1], ParameterBindingValidationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationError,Install-WindowsImage.ps1

Does anyone know what's happening here? Did I miss something? Do I maybe have a corrupt ISO file?
My source drive where the virtual DVD is located is drive H: and my VHD is drive G:

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

May be reading this will be helpful.
http://archive.msdn.microsoft......aseId=2662

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!