The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Windows 8 Chrome App Defaults to Windows 7 Chrome Program

(2 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Cyndi25
  • Latest reply from Cyndi25
  • Topic Viewed 458 times

Cyndi25

I recently installed Windows 8 on my desktop computer that had been running Windows 7. It installed just fine over Windows 7. Everything was working fine. On the new start screen, clicking the Chrome app, opened Chrome on the Windows 8 side. So far, so good...

Microsoft is giving away the Media Pack for free through January 31st. I wanted it and got the key. It wouldn't install. Lots of folks are having this problem. I researched a solution and it seemed like the answer was to reinstall the Windows 8 OS. I did. Not so good...

There was no warning that all my programs were going to disappear. Really. Luckily my data is on another hard drive. The only thing on that partition were my applications and when I decided to install Windows 8, I ran the Upgrade Assistant which listed all of my programs. Very handy to have that list...

The OS installed, the Media Pack installed and I'm not a Geek, but I got all the programs back in and the drivers and everything up and running in a few hours. It's amazing the stuff I didn't reinstall. I had a lot of extraneous programs that I left out.

I did have an image on Acronis but I thought it was a chance to start fresh.

However, now at the Start screen on the Windows 8 side, clicking on the Google App pushes me over the Windows 7 side and into the old Windows 7 Chrome Program. I'm wondering if anyone of you can tell me why?

I like Windows 8. The shutdown and boot up time is amazingly reduced and I like the interface. I have installed Stardock's Start 8 and recommend it to you. It replaces the Start button that Microsoft took away.

Posted 1 year ago

Cyndi25

I found the answer. There is a setting in Chrome called, "Relaunch Chrome on the Desktop" and when it's on the Desktop is changes to "Relaunch Chrome in Windows 8 Mode."

Very straightforward.

http://www.chromestory.com/201.....d-disable/

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.