The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Windows 8 broadband problems

(16 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by jagannath
  • Latest reply from Fhirkin9
  • Topic Viewed 7410 times

jagannath

Recently i have dual-booted windows 7 Ultimate and windows 8 Release Preview. everything was fine with windows 8 except the internet. I thought it was a Release bug, so this time i dual-booted Windows 7 UL and Windows 8 Professional. I installed the Marvell Yukon PCI-E Ethernet driver, configured the username and password and it connected for the first time. then i opened the IE 10 beta and MSN loaded and when i try to load another page, it doesn't work and after some time it gets disconnected, and when i try to reconnect it gives an error 651: the modem or other device has reported an error. Internet works fine of windows 7 so it not a problem with the ISP or modem. Problem only in Windows 8. I tried and installed Windows 8 on my friends laptop and net works with WiFi. Please give me solution to my problem.

Thanks in Advance! :)

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

My suspicion would be the driver for the PCIe card. Perhaps it is not W8 compatible.

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

I am not dual boot, but Win8 Release preview automatically recognized and installed drivers for my similar card (which is actually a built-in gigabit controller on my mobo). Perhaps you can roll it back to this build? Or attempt to get the driver from Microsoft?

Here is my driver info:

Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Driver date 2/23/2012 version 12.0.9.4

Driver service added (yukonw8)
Device installed (netmyk64.inf)

Edit: Looks like this didn't help. Did you attempt a "scan for hardware changes" by right clicking on the card in Device Manager? Have you tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it? Just to be clear, you are trying to use a wired connection, correct?

Posted 1 year ago

jagannath

@Fhirkin9: i tried it both in Preview Release and Pro both didnt work

Posted 1 year ago

jagannath

Yes it is a wired connection, i download the driver for acer.com and will boot into 8 and try and install it in compatbility mode. thanx for the help!

Posted 1 year ago

jagannath

No luck, but i tried troubleshooting the internet connection and this is what i got:

Posted 1 year ago

jagannath

how to solve the problem guys???

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Try this, but you may already have done so.

Shutdown PC.

Unplug the router for 5mins

Reboot router, wait 2 mins, reboot PC

Posted 1 year ago

jagannath

@vistamike: it works on windows 7 so i dont think it is a modem/router problem, anyway i'll try that.

Posted 1 year ago

jagannath

@fHIRKIN9: i scanned for hardware changes, uninstalled, reinstalled, nothing worked :(

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

It sounds to me (and I am not an expert) that your Ip address is not set to Dynamic...but not sure. wish I had more to say.

Not sure if troubleshooting and Diagnosing are the same process. Try Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections > then right click on Ethernet (will say Marvell) then hit Diagnose, maybe it will be able to detect the specific fix needed.

We could also try IPCONFIG from the command line prompt, I may not have time to aid you in that...

This applies to WinXP, so you would have to find the features in Win8.... Dynamic IP in WIndows

Posted 1 year ago

jagannath

My IP is set to Dynamic, as the box which says "Obtain IP Address automatically" is ticked

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

win 8 is about to be released as the next M$ operating system

It is not win 7 or an afterthought in anyway or means

You need to think about this when working in win 7

Personally will not be in the client upgrade

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

This issue happened in Win7 as well, look here for more possible fixes, including a "too many IPx.x" enabled.

Answers direct from MS

Posted 1 year ago

jagannath

this is awkward, but i can connect to the internet using WiFi, in fact i am accessing this website now through WiFi. but this is my neighbors unsecured WiFi. I am uploading more pics, hope that helps in solving the problem

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

You have no default gateway configured according to that screen cap, that and no DHCP server. Your DNS servers look completely different than mine, my DNS server looks like an IP address. Can you try the release/renew commands in ipconfig? I think I have reached the limit of my LAN-fu abilities...

IPCONFIG commands

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.