The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

(Solved) - Windows 8 and rubbish apps

(10 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by derry162
  • Latest reply from gedstar
  • Topic Viewed 719 times

derry162

Hi, first time here and sorry if blonde question. I have just upgraded to windows 8 - yes I can find start, control panel etc, but their apps are awful. I do not want Bing news, would prefer BBC Sport to Sky, want google maps - their Bing maps show my location in the wrong county and I cannot seem to change it. I would like my internet bank address on apps. I have looked at help, but Microsoft help doesn't seem to work for me. Am I being really stupid? I cannot seem to paste apps I want and loose those I don't ant. Help please (UK user)

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

derry162, hi and welcome. Any particular reason why you felt the need to 'upgrade' to windows 8?

How did you upgrade, win 7 or vista?

Did you check with upgrade assistant before you did this?

The interface, the GUI, is completely different and so is the way the OS works.

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

gedstar

Hi

Wouldn't recommend an upgrade, better off doing a clean install

Apart from that, if you'd like the start button back and boot to the desktop without the Start Screen, this is what i use. Works great.

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

If you don't like an App, just right click and choose uninstall from the bottom left corner

Once I got rid of all the apps and configured Windows 8 to my liking, it's actually not bad, even better with an SSD, sooooo fast

Ged

Posted 2 years ago

whs

What do you expect from a rubbish operating system.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

This is what whs speaks about.

Nielsen Norman Group
Full Article:
http://www.nngroup.com/article.....wer-users/

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten

You can CUSTOMIZE everything (I think on the START SCREEN). All you need do is Right Mouse Button on the Live Tile you don't want and disable it or remove it. Then go to your DESKTOP, find the Icon you'd like to use and RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON, select PROPERTIES and use PIN TO START. The icon will appear there, but NOT be Live Tiles, but you can easily execute them from the Start screen.

MS has chosen some to be Live Tiles and I suspect there are settings hidden somewhere to control what they connect too. THIS LINK shows what has to be done to build a Live Tile for Developer's, so I suspect similar stuff can be located for the ones you want to change and you'd need to do some editing. However, if it were this easy, I'm surprised no one has done this yet?

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

Rick, this is a good article and tells the story very well. I especially liked this sentence:

"But the result makes the Surface start screen into an incessantly blinking, unruly environment that feels like dozens of carnival barkers yelling at you simultaneously"

Irv, who wants to go on a 'treasure hunt'. I want my system to work conveniently out of the box. This /8 is rubbish - any way you look at it (and I looked at it for nearly a whole year).

Posted 2 years ago

derry162

To vistamike - yes I used the assistant first.
To Ged - I have removed apps I don't like, which leaves with little, so am using my old favourites, which I cannot seem to pin there.

Thanks for replies, will look at links.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten

WHS, my wife, who is no power user, was the 'sacrificial lamb' for W8. Her new Dell was upgraded to W8. At first the Live Tiles were confusing to her. Now, one click as she's at the desktop and uses the computer as she did before. Two immediate problems, make that 3...

- Norton Ghost works, we think, but you can't activate it. Norton is 'working' on this.
- At least 1/2 the games she bought from Gamehouse doesn't work because of their overlay loader. They are updating games slowly to fix this.
- LinkSys AE2500 USB network adapter doesn't load or loads but only connects to the Router, not the Internet randomly. 1 out of 20 boots or so
this happens. Re-boot fixes this. LinkSys has not released a W8 driver yet, that seems to be the problem.

Otherwise for her, it works the same. System has an SSD, so I can't say it boots faster, but it does shutdown faster. Since I've pinned most of her frequently used icons to the Start screen many times now she doesn't even go to the Desktop, just uses them. This is an 8GB 1600 speed RAM system with a fast i7 3770 processor, so it can handle this even if she uses Modern Live Tiles and loads memory.

Me, well, trying to locate 'normal' power user things can be a chore. Even getting to the Control panel, a lot of mouse movement and clicks. I'm starting to learn the keyboard combo's as it is a faster way to get places. I'm also holding off moving my computer to W8, but will do so soon or at least buy the upgrade before the special deal expires next month. I just saw that MS has declared no SP2 for W7, and I fear MS will slow down patches in an effort to accelerate W8 acceptance too.

I too used the prior 'previews', but the release is better and more user friendly, when compared to the previews. Yes, I can get apps that will get me to the desktop automatically, and with that the user experience still isn't going to be like W7. Still, I prefer to be on the latest release. To each person the choice is yours to make. I don't think it is bad, just different. Sometimes change is not good, sometimes it is. Desktops in the future will be touch screen standard anyway. Why fight it?

It isn't that I like it, it is that I see no reason not to do it (once the app situation of not working is resolved). People resisted Vista/W7 due to the dropping of 16 bit windows apps, you do not hear complaints about that now generally anymore either. W8 complaints will pass in time. Oh, I don't think MS cares how the end-user feels, but the business user is the one they need and want to accept W8.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

gedstar

I tend to agree with ispalten

I installed Windows 8 on both my Laptop and PC €30 for each, had some issues with installing ATI video drivers getting them to work on both, but got them sorted. I also installed Classic Shell, mainly because I'm not really into the Start screen, both boot to the desktop. Pinned all my program icons to the taskbar, just basically have it setup the way I had Windows 7. I'm having the same experience with Windows 8 as I did with Windows 7, no problem installing any of the apps that I use. Able to create images using Acronis True Image 2011.
And after reading the howtogeek Windows 8 guide, I kind of know Windows 8 inside out. Was a bit of a learning curve, but I feel the change has been a pleasant one, for me at least.
So Windows 8 gets the thumbs up from me and at €30 for a pro license, it's not a bad deal.
SSD's on both Laptop and PC and the boot time and shutdown time is really fast. Loading apps, especially Photoshop in really quick, even using the app runs much quicker than it did in Windows 7

Ged

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.