The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

(Solved) - Windows 8 and Anti-virus

(9 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by hArLtRoN
  • Latest reply from hArLtRoN
  • Topic Viewed 2406 times

hArLtRoN

Does the Windows 8 CP need an anti-virus? I can't find an absolute answer and just want to be safe.

Posted 2 years ago

Westmoreland

So I've heard rumor that Windows 8 will be shipped with built-in antivirus software. this may be the end for the antivirus industry

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49

Westmoreland,

I doubt that the above statement is true because of Windows 7 has 8 years to go on support and i can gaurantee you that every third party antivirus company ie, macafee avira ect. Companies will keep up with the OS'S before windows 8 will really take a hold on the market (if it ever does) to much money is to be made for each company.

John

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

They will still make money because of the P. T. Barnum effect.

BTW Windows 8 comes with Microsoft Security Essentials, which will be called Windows Defender.

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49

hArLtRoN,

To answer your question i would say yes to get one but the way that the core is completely different than 7 is by taking Aero out of windows 8 it is still vunerable of viruses like any other OS is. Hopes this helps.

John

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49

Sorry xhi i was only trying to answer the questions on here sorry if i gave the wrong answers..

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

It's ok, many of my answers are wrong .

Posted 2 years ago

hArLtRoN

@jmeeks49,
What do you mean by "but the way that the core is completely different than 7 is by taking Aero out of windows 8?" What does Aero have to do with anti-virus? Isn't Aero the theme?

I did see that Microsoft was going to be shipping Windows 8 with a built in anti-virus.

Posted 2 years ago

hArLtRoN

So I just installed avast! 7 Free Edition and installed and is working just fine.

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.