How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Windows 8

(19 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by semiretired
  • Latest reply from semiretired
  • Topic Viewed 846 times

semiretired
semiretired

I like the idea of running the same os among many devices. I actually love it, if it is good. The reason I have not done so, is that my 2 year old windows 7, 64 bit, i7 2600k is still a badass on the block. One that I may want to perpetuate for a while. I may buy a win8 tablet, when enough change is found in the couch. Have any of you geek types have experience with windows 8.

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

Yes, have tried it on both touchscreen and non-touchscreen laptops and found it wanting on both devices. The non-touchscreen laptop was tedious with Win8 out of the box, though there are now many 3rd party add-ons that help to make it more useable - and more like Windows 7 (hence it is a pointless upgrade in my opinion). The touchscreen laptop was one with a smallish screen which, whilst it worked well with the Win8 UI, became really tedious when I wanted to use it for serious work because the screen was too small. I am sticking with Windows 7 for anything that requires productivity.

If you are looking for an 'across the board' OS then you may want top consider Apple. I've had an ipad for a while, then got an iphone, both of which I find brilliant, and have recently purchased a Mac mini (I already had a decent screen so the cost was a lot less than a full-size Mac), and I have found that a great bit of kit to use for the majority of my main work.

Posted 1 year ago

semiretired
semiretired

I am an Apple hater. You buy less stuff for more money.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

Why pay all those $$$ for a machine because of the name Apple when you can install linux on an existing machine or build a new machine running linux? IMHO Apple is highly overpriced.

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

I was also an Apple hater for many years until I actually came to start using them - primarily forced into it by factors such as Windows 7 phones not having Outlook installed so it was impossible to easily sync my phone to the PC - iphones do it out of the box and seamlessly. I tried numerous Android tablets and have found the ipad to be a rock-solid tool to use (at the time Microsoft hadn't even considered producing a tablet so they weren't in the running (& having seen the price/spec of the Surface when it eventually appears the ipad looks an absolute bargain). The mac mini cost £499 and is a great piece of kit - I couldn't have justified £1500 for a full-size mac but does everything I actually need without fuss. Plus the support provided by Apple is great - any queries and you actually speak to a real expert - try doing that with a Microsoft product.

Anyway, as the OP was asking about having the same OS on many devices IMHO Apple is the only company that currently offers that 'off the shelf'.

Posted 1 year ago

jamesbarns

I have an older version of my brothers laptop (m6-1035dx) that runs Windows 7 and his is running Windows 8 (m6-1105dx). We both like to game on it a little bit and everytime I come in to see what he is up to I just start laughing at how annoying all of the features are for Windows 8. For example when you use two fingers on the touchpad to scroll sideways, it just pulls out the sidebar everytime. This happens even when he is just trying to move the cursor over the screen it just comes up. Definitely not an OS for devices without a touchscreen.
--------------------
James

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Have a look at my posting here: http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=10

Posted 1 year ago

molliebrown

My 80 year old sister just got windows 8 on her new HP. Hope I can figure it out for her! I still have Windows 7. Geek explanations assume a lot of understanding! What the heck is a lock screen? How does she get there? All the squares and apps available are very confusing to those of us who do not do Facebook, etc...All she wants is to check her email, look at things, be able to email back and forth, research a little (no icon for Google?) and check her bank account and play games on her game site, Pogo. I wish the 20 year trying to explain things to her at Best Buy had helped her with that, and given her written instructions and not just given her a canned lecture. I can see Internet Explorer is on there, but she does not understand that, so I will try to set up her email, etc. I have a screen shot of Windows 8, maybe I can help her. Hey, there are lots and lots of older folks who do not like the tablet format, and really do not use all those things!

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Yeah, it looks like you guys really need help. But don't worry. We will take care of you. For starters I suggest you do 2 things:

1. Start your own thread rather than mixing into this thread. Then you get more attention.

2. I have uploaded a 'starter package' for your Windows 8 education. It consists of 2 PDF files. One is a very easy to read manual that explains Windows 8. The second is a control sheet for a series of Videos I have made a whiile ago explaining how to get around in Windows 8. On this control sheet you will see boxes with text telling you what the subject of each video covers. Click on that text and the video will play. You may be asked for a permission - just click 'Yes".

The 2 PDFs are in a Zip folder which you have to first unzip. You can download it from the link below. When you get to the Skydrive site, right click on the box that says:" Manual & W8 Video Tutorial". After the right click you click on Download. If you use the Internet Explorer, you have to go to 'Save as' on the bottom of the screen and select the folder where you want to save it - usually the Downloads folder is practical.

I will go to bed now but will be back tomorrow. Try to get started with those 2 PDFs. There is a LOT of useful information. If you have questions, come back here - but maybe in your own thread. Good luck.

This is the link:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=475a0a48ca6d4035&provision=1&ref=3&wa=wsignin1.0&sa=412485191#cid=475A0A48CA6D4035&id=475A0A48CA6D4035%211839

Posted 1 year ago

semiretired
semiretired

whs, I may buy the OS while it's cheap. Will install on my wife's Dell Vista duo core. mobo was replaced, newer graphics card, lot's of memory. Need to find out if it can handle 64 bit.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Unfortunately the $39.95 offer ended Jan. 31. And there is no need to wreck a good PC with it. Install it in virtual - VMware works good.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

If you have a discount code (allowing you to buy at 15$ instead of 40$) that code is vaild until feb. 28th.
I bought a 3rd Win8Pro key yesterday, at 15$.
However, if you don't have a discount code, prices are now at their normal tag (169$ ish for Windows 8 and 229$ ish for Windows 8 Pro).

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Going from W7 H.P. to W8 was a breeze. If you don't mind some 'minor' changes, loss of START MENU and the new Start Screen, once you get to the DESKTOP you don't know if it is W7 or W8. There are quite a few programs that will make W8 work just like W7 with respect to by-passing the Start Screen and going direct to desktop. However there are some 'gotcha's' along the way. Some programs will not work at all, some need to be re-installed. Run the W8 Advisor on the MS site to determine which ones these might be, but that app is not foolproof, you might still find a surprise.

My wife was upgraded first and she hit some game snags and had some minor problems. Game company (GameHouse) is slowly updating the games that they can to make them work on W8. Other than that, she seems able to navigate quite easily, and I've not disabled the Start Screen.

One BIG hit for us was Norton Ghost 15, doesn't work... on W8. A new product does, SSR2013, but there are other back-up alternatives that work and are cheaper for more than one computer.

GO FOR IT!!!

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Classic Shell Start Button works with no issues and is free.
http://www.classicshell.net/

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Rick, when I run Windows 8 I want Windows 8 and not some prostituted Windows 7.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Well then fumble on. (LOL)

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

That's all I do with Windows 8 anyhow. Who would consider it for any serious work.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

You guys make me smile. You all sound just like people in Ubuntu forums when Unity was made the default. They got over it and you will as well. Windows 8 just looks different, it still does everything you need it to do. Personally I don't like the tiles, so I just ignore them. However I love the lack of a start menu replaced by hitting the windows key and typing in what I want to run, then hitting ENTER. That brings me right to desktop with that software or utility in focus. Much more intuitive than scrolling through menus on a start button or shortcuts on a taskbar toolbar that I made.

Ladies and gentlemen you will get over it and eventually you will adapt. You know that change is the only thing constant in life. So it is with computing.

Posted 1 year ago

semiretired
semiretired

Looks like I'm too late for the discount.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!