The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Windows 8

(20 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by PackDrill
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 887 times

PackDrill

Is there or will there be a 64 bit Pro version of WIndows 8 that's NOT upgrade and NOT OEM?
I'm constantly upgrading my hardware so I don't want to have to buy an OS again, OEM wouldn't work too well with me.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk

The 40$ version can be used either as Upgrade or Clean Install.
That's the version I bought. I did both (upgrade and clean install) and it works just perfectly.
I'm also constantly changing hardware and reinstalling from scratch every 3 months or so. Worse case it'll be like for Windows 7.
After a few reinstalls you will have to activate Windows by phone (an easy process).

Posted 1 year ago

Kelen

There is no upgrade package.... Notice the boxes dont say it anywhere on them like the old windows 7 and vista ones did. Enjoy the sales prices as they will later shift to the $200, at least thats the current plan. The only diffrent types are the box and the oem version because they will have diffrent PID generators so you cannot use one set of product keys with the other.

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9

I purchased the OEM PRO (built a new system and did not have a previous Win license that was eligible for upgrade), and it allows you to transfer the license to new hardware, including a completely new system with new motherboard. I am not 100% certain that a phone call will be necessary when moving to new hardware, as MS can de-activate the "old" hardware associated with the previous install. Hopefully gone are the days of $300-$400 "Full Retail" OS products.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

I think with so many people switching to Linux, MS may have rethought their pricing strategy.

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9

If only they would lower the price of Office...but there are a ton of development costs. Seems strange that an Office suite would cost three times as much as a top-of-the-line OS. I need Office for work, but get this, my employer expects me to foot the bill.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Office is mostly used by businesses. They can afford it. Us humble folk use the free alternatives.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

This "humble folk" will use only Office (granted, it's Home and Student and I wait until I can catch it on sale). I've tried the free alternatives and they just don't meet my needs. When I got 2007, I caught it on sale for $80 U.S. I recently got 2010 for $100 (normally $140). I was happy with 2007 but it expires in 2017; 2010 is good well into 2020 (which means it will be good until Win 7 expires) and isn't much different from 2007 other than some added features I didn't really need.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar

If your a student or if there's a student in the family, you can get Office 2010 pro here.

http://www.software4students.c.....ional-plus

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

And I don't think you'll see another version of Office appearing very soon as M$ are going down the 'pay as you use' route with Office365, essentially leaving the home user to fend for themselves.

Posted 1 year ago

Superevil

Just got my free copy of Win8 Pro from Microsoft today. Hopefully I'll be able to find some poor sap to trade me a copy on Win7 Pro for it.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

Good Luck.

Posted 1 year ago

Superevil

I know right. Windows 7 licenses are going to be like gold.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

That's what I think too. But, you never know for sure.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Windows 8 Upgrade Clean Installs FINE on a pair of SSDs running in Raid 0 plus can Dual Boot using Bios.

ALL Machine Devices Working Properly and Fast.

Can even Boot Straight into Old Desktop with Start Button [ by-passing Metro interface altogether ] using
Classic Shell Program http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Not going to use Windows 7 any longer and just keep an old image around.

Machine Builders should purchase Windows 8 Pro instead of wasting money on old Windows 7.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

So Rick, just how do you do a CLEAN install with the Upgrade media?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk

Irv, with Windows Vista to 7 UPGRADE media you could do an upgrade this way:

-Clean Install Windows 7 (using upgrade media) but do not enter a product key and do not check "automatically activate".
-Once in Windows, run the upgrade media and select "Upgrade".
-It will do its backup (Windows.Old) (even though you don't need it). Once prompted, insert product key.
-Once in Windows, make sure it's activated, if not, activate.
-That's it.

I've done it more than 60 times and it works perfectly.

Now for Wnidows 8, again, the 15$/40$ media you get allows for either upgrade or clean install.
I've seen a few major retailers (Future Shop, Best Buy etc) that sell an upgrade for 65$ (ish). I haven't tested with this CD but I'm guessing you can do a clean install aswell.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

@Irv,

The Windows 8 UPGRADE allows one to make an ISO.

Then make a Bootable USB Stick or DVD using the Official MS Tool.

I have also made MS Bootable USB RE/PE, ImageX Tool Sticks for handling HD and SSD geometry operations BEFORE Clean Installs.

Directions are Free on the MS TechNet Site.

ALL IS COMPLETELY LEGAL AND FREE USING THE TOOLS PROVIDED BY MS !!

Unfortunately, most members don't use the Free MS TechNet Knowledge Base. :( :(

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

Rick, thank you for your most valuable information / input as usual!

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

One other TIP.

Since one may have to setup up their secure connection to their router AFTER an Install, Windows 8 (ANY EDITION) may fail to ACTIVATE Properly during installation.

If this happens just do this Procedure:

Run Regedit.
set
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/MediaBootInstall to 0

Run as administrator a CMD Prompt.
slmgr /rearm

Orderly Reboot the machine when sure an Internet Connection has been configured an established.

Then the Windows 8 installation will transmit your Genuine PID to MS and Activate the System Properly.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.