The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Windows 8 ?

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by miriama59
  • Latest reply from presence1960
  • Topic Viewed 464 times

miriama59

I bought a new computer and unfortunately it has Windows 8. I am the least tech-enabled person on Earth and this thing
is difficult for people like me. It's like someone wanted to put a tablet on my laptop.

I need to be able to go to full screen occasionally and the F5 button doesn't do that any more.

And the F11 that enabled me to search the page for key words doesn't do that any more.

And since Gmail is my main email I don't understand how when I click on an email address like in the old days :) and the Gmail program pops up for me to
email that person there is NO place to put a subject. No subject line? What am I supposed to do there?

So how do I solve these three problems? I tried googling now for several weeks to no avail.

Does anyone have the answer to these questions?

Posted 1 year ago

Scott
Scott

I'm using Win 8 and F11 still goes full screen, F5 refreshes. Try Control + F to search within a page.
I'm not a big user of Gmail but doubt Win 8 changed anything. Google did enhance recently,

http://support.google.com/mail.....er=2645922

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

If you don't like the Start Screen, install this and you'll have your Start Button back and Boot straight to the Desktop

http://www.classicshell.net/

Are you using gmail through a web browser? I use gmail with Firefox and have no problems on Windows 8

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

Can't get much easier than this: just press the windows key and type the name of software you want to use and it will be shown to you. Very intuitive, definitely better than clicking start button and scrolling through mega menus. Very similar to the Unity bar in Linux. Windows is definitely evolving into something better. Just my opinion of course!

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

I think you have your keyboard shortcuts mixed up in your mind. Scott did point out the correct keyboard shortcuts for what you want to do. I am currently in Sabayon 10 Linux and those same keyboard shortcuts work in Linux as well as Windows.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.