The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows 7x64 hangs over 4min at welcome screen

(7 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by nosparks
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 2063 times

nosparks

This problem started after installing VLC 1.1.11-win32.exe and VirtualBox 4.1.6. Both programs have been uninstalled but the stall on the welcome screen still persists. My ntbtlog.txt file shows the following drivers not loading vga.sys, NDProxy.sys (4 times), MpFilter.sys and srv.sys. Google this welcome screen hang and seems to be caused by solid colored background, but I don't have that. Would it be reasonable to copy these driver files from a friends 32bit installation and paste them into my \systemroot\system32\drivers\ folder?

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten

Well, I don't think that will work as you're on 64 bit, so 32 bit drivers will probably fail no matter what. VGA.SYS, it wouldn't load if you are running a video cards drivers anyway. That one is a 'safety net' deal. It load if no other video drivers would so you could 'see'.

It sounds more like a process waiting for a service and eventually times out.

I'd put back both of the uninstalled programs and see if it works again myself. Then look at the log to make sure those items are no longer a problem. If they aren't, save those files away and delete them again, one at a time, VLC first probably as it should be into the 'system' as much as Sun's program. Check booting and then take out the VB.

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten

OK, I decided to enable boot logging to check... I don't think that is your problem, not loading drivers...

Snippets from my x64 log :

============
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\vpchbus.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\vga.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbhub.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\AtihdW76.sys
--------------------

-------------------
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\srv.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\srv.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\SysWow64\drivers\aspi32.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atksgt.sys
-------------------

One you didn't list :

----------------
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\tcpipreg.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\NISx64\1302000.00A\SRTSPX64.SYS
Loaded driver
Loaded driver
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NISx64\1302000.00A\SRTSP64.SYS
-----------------

I don't have one you have, MpFilter.sys, but it is probably a file installed by another program I don't have? Google indicates it is from Microsoft Windows Malware protection system, not sure which one it could be from, but I don't have MSE or other MS anti-virus programs loaded. I have Norton's ISS 2012.

So, BOTTOM LINE, you have other problem, and I'd think it possibly is a NETWORK timeout myself.

What I'd try is DISABLING some Startup programs. Open up MSCONFIG and on the STARTUP tab first take off any you don't need, then DISABLE all non-MS ones and see what happens. It should start OK hopefully. If it does, then start putting back a few at a time until is fails and then disable the ones you put back one at a time. Eventually you'll find the problem.

Doesn't work, I'd suggest getting Soluto as it monitors your booting too... it might show a process taking a LONG time.

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

nosparks

Thanks Irv, you are right doubting those drivers, the computer booted fine this morning and boot log still has those drivers not loading. Beats me! I'll use the computer as-is for a while to see if the problem re-occurs before reinstalling anything, and I will have boot logging turned on then. Thanks for the link to Soluto, you got to love that description of "Anti-Frustration Software", isn't that called an Oxymoron?

NoSparks

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten

You'll see in my snippets 2 of the failing to load ones actually did load just ahead of the fails... normal stuff... a process has loaded the driver, and then another one does also, but since it was already loaded/running, it fails, again, normal.

If it booted fine and then starts failing again, I'd be looking for a h/w problem. That or some Internet connection problem. I'm pretty sure your looking at either a timeout situation or some 'required service' to become available. It could also be a very poorly written 'update' program 'calling home' and the website is either slow or down, hanging the update app until it times out or gets it request completed. If the computer works fine when it does come up, this would be a logical reason. If you see other problems after it completes boot, such as slow or sporadic disk access, it could be failing h/w... disk, PSU, CPU, or even a loose connection somewhere.

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

nosparks

Seems to be hit and miss as to the hang time at startup. Soluto doesn't show any 1 thing taking a long time to execute but rather every single thing taking a long time. I'm tending to lean towards a RAM or HDD issue and will be looking into these items.

NoSparks

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten

Get MEMTEST86 (the free d/l) and burn it to CD and boot it, it will test the memory for you.

Hard disk, if it has been S.M.A.R.T. enabled, you should have an app on the computer that can read that data... otherwise go to the vendor's website for the HD and they should have a utility to D/L.

Could also run CHKDSK via the drives Properties Tools tab. It might detect an error and fix it.

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.