How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

(Solved) - Windows 7 vs Windows 8 features

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Designing5
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1358 times

Designing5
Designing5

I know that Windows 8 has lots of "bells and whistles" and that it is cool to have on a touch screen (but I don't have one of those). I am at a point that I'm not sure whether or not to upgrade to W8 or to just stick to W7. I just need to know your knowledgeable opinion about these two platforms, using the CONS and the PROS. Thanks in advance!

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

I wouldn't recommend upgrading an existing system to Win 8, especially if you don't have a touch screen. I eventually relented and bought a new touchscreen laptop and it is useable on that, though there are many annoyances (useless built-in email app, useless browser), though these annoyances can be overcome as it's easy enough to install your own email app, browser etc. and these default to using the standard desktop rather than the touchscreen UI. However, I originally installed an upgrade on an older Vista laptop and found that the fact that Win8 is 'always on' really drained the battery, even with it in 'sleep' mode (which made the 'instant on' bit irrelevant if the battery had drained).

Win8 is made for touchscreen and if you don't have one then there is little benefit and many annoyances compared to Win7, but if you tinker with Win8 you can make it act more like Win7, which means there is little point in upgrading.

As far as Pros & Cons are concerned, there's a good article HERE listing some of the main improvements - it's up to you whether you think any of them would be to your advantage.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

One our 2 desktops that get used daily I upgraded from W7 to W8. Things are sometimes on different places and in some cases you just need to do things differently. Yes, this can mean extra mouse clicks. The Live Tiles (which can be active and use the Internet, thus drain battery power, but can be turned off) offer little to a PC user but for the Surface RT, make it act like a tablet such as the iPad. Most, if not all, the Live Tiles are like iPad apps.

One can by-pass the Start Screen and restore the Start Orb using one of many 3rd party alternatives.

My wife's machine was 'our' test of this. I figured she'd complain about anything, so I'd try it out on her desktop. Well, other than one extra click to go from the Start Screen to the Desktop, she's very happy. Admittedly she doesn't use a lot of features and doesn't need to find and play with the Control panel, but overall it works just fine.

I should add she did have problems with existing programs that either needed to be re-installed or just didn't work. The W8 Advisor does detail most of these, and some are wrong, stating they do work when they do not. Norton Ghost 15 is one of these.

One big PRO, It will be supported longer than W7 will be. It also appears faster, but that is subjective.

CON would be non-supported programs and locating 'things' that have been moved.

Touch screen is NOT needed. There are mice and pads on can buy though that will work as one, but you can navigate just as well with a mouse. You just have to learn to do things differently.

Live Tiles for instance just like on any tablet stay loaded and might even be running. If you use ALT-F4, you will close them, they have NO close button. As I said, they also will update the Start Screen, and you can disable this to reduce Internet load.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Eddiebug1
Eddiebug1

if you want to try it i would suggest a duel-boot on the HDD

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Better even use it in a virtual machine. Here is how

Long time ago I made a little video with the CP to get you started on Windows 8 ==> http://www.eightforums.com/tut.....video.html

If you want more detail, consult my Youtube playlist. But that is also from the CP times - although still the same and valid. http://www.youtube.com/playlis.....e=view_all

I myself am not using it although I do have a license and I know how to work with it. For what I am doing I find it far inferior to Windows 7. It is a little faster than Windows 7, but since I run all my systems from SSDs, the performance difference is minimal.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Designing5
Designing5

The virtual machine worked just fine. Thank you all!!

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

You are welcome.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!