• Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 986 times

Scott
Scott

A test by Everything Microsoft

Posted 2 years ago

Santo
Santo

Windows 8 looks lot better than Windows 7. By the time we become familiar with the new OS something else will come which will be far better and very much different the way it works. My question is do we require this constant change and what is it going to achieve??

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Yes, I have always preferred stone wheels on my cars.

I have been using W8 for several months now and seldom go back to the metro interface once I have clicked to the desktop and usually forget even that I'm in W8. It really is not as big a deal as some would have you believe.

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

Those are HDD nums. On a SSD you would not see these differences - at least I don't.

Posted 2 years ago

swarmiq

Windows 8 has undergone a major redesign.I am quite familiar with it now.And i feel windows 8 is better than windows 7.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

I don't think PERFORMANCE counts, at least in my book. FEEL is more important, and that takes into account a LOT of things, not limited to the OS itself.

One reason is this :

----------------
The reason being that Windows 8 saves a copy of the system state and memory contents to the harddrive and then simply reloads this once you restart. This is why it’s so much quicker at starting up as it doesn’t have to go and load everything from scratch.
---------------

So what would W7 look like if you could do that?

This also isn't the final release tested. Who knows what will be added or changed?

From the above, this appeared to a be a clean install and it isn't stated what 'else' was installed? What will it do with all the apps and startup you have is the $64,000 question.

Significantly this little tidbit :

--------------
The key thing here is startup. Windows 7 still takes just too long to get usable, and Windows 8 finally remedies this drawback. Browser performance is also notably better, and it's encouraging that Geekbench showed a little improvement and PCMark 7 a significant one.
--------------

Note that there wasn't a lot of improvement in GeekBench but PCMark7 had a significant one? Synthetic benchmarks both. Real world users might not see much is what I read into that, but I could be wrong.

I've only run W8 in a VM, and I know that isn't as fast as it could be doing it that way. More annoying is the interface than anything else. Release time I'll probably pay the $15 to get the new Dell updated... don't like it? Ghost will bring me back to W7 in a flash.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Everyone will learn to workout their issues with Windows 8 over time just like they did with Windows XP.

I remember when I switched from Windows 2000-SP4 to XP, I thought it was the most "Comic Book" O/S imaginable and never thought MS would ever be able to pull off Windows Action Trick world wide.

Man, was I wrong !!!! (LOL) (LOL)

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

@Xhi, YABBA DABBA DOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry couldn't resist.

John

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Rick, did you forget about Bob?

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Irv,

MS can't afford another "Bob" in today's business climate.

When MS was "King", they could fumble the ball once in awhile and still recover.

Most knowledgeable opinions say MS cannot recover this time if Windows 8 is a "flop".

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Probably the reason for the price and push to W8 Rick. Still, MS is not a 'one horse pony' either. I don't think W8 itself will be a big part of their income, but it does drive other things, like tablets. It is a move I think to counteract inroads made by other OS's and the devices they drive.

I've started to see ads that are probably W8 'driven'. You'll notice in ads for all-in-ones that it is clearly started these are non-touch screens. Tells me you'll be seeing ones with touch screens real soon now. There is a device that will ship that is a mouse that handle gestures...

If W8 doesn't fly, the desired to get W8 tablets and phones might not have the draw it would be if one adopts W8 as their computer desktop. That opens it up for Android, Apple, Google, and others to sell their devices, further fracturing the Windows franchise. That is the real problem, fracturing of the Windows Franchise and all it covers and delivers.

So will 'low price' keep the franchise alive and well or will it even erode it more as people will come to expect low prices... is this a real fix or a short term one?

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Emerging Markets is the name of the game.

If MS or others can't compete in the Emerging Markets, then the companies will go down in the dust bin of history.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!