The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows 7 upgrade help

(15 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Flanders2
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 1444 times

Flanders2

ok so i've been trying to do the beta upgrade of windows 7 and after the check up it does it says i cannot complete because of windows mail and parental controls are preventing me from furthing the upgrade, it tells me to download new programs, but i'm not quite sure what and how to detele the orginal ones. If someone can give me some directions that would be awesome, thanks!!

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Flanders2, which operating system are you trying to upgrade to and from? Please specify the edition and release level, for example, Vista Home Premium (SP2) to Windows 7 Home Premium (RTM).

Posted 5 years ago

Flanders2

o man didnt relize that, hmm vista sp2? and the w7 home premium im pretty sure

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Yes, you can do an upgrade install from Vista Home Premium (or Home Basic) to Windows 7 Home Premium, provided both are 32-bit or 64-bit versions.

As for the Windows Mail and Parental Control issue, I think that your best option is to install the follow-on products that are in the Windows Live Essentials suite. The successor to Windows Mail is Windows Live Mail and the successor to Parental Controls is Family Safety. You can download any or all of the Windows Live applications at http://download.live.com/

If you install these updates before Windows 7, you can make sure that your settings are transferred over to the new apps -- e-mails, contacts, and parental settings. Once the new apps are running, the Windows 7 upgrade install should go smoothly.

Posted 5 years ago

Flanders2

ok so i installd the follow on from the link, and restarted my computer and all and i try downloading windows 7 again and the same thing comes up

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

What does the message say? I have not tried the Windows 7 upgrade myself.

Did you set Windows Live Mail as your default e-mail client? I haven't used parental controls or family safety, so I'm not familiar with their use.

Posted 5 years ago

Flanders2

No i have not set up windows live for my default i don't think, and i don't use the parental controls either so i don't know how there messing up with my windows 7,

Posted 5 years ago

Flanders2

well i guess i can't link the picture but if you try and install windows 7 it does a check before and after the check it shows whats good and what needs to be fixed. It shows that windows mail and parental controls neeeds to be changed before i can contiune.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Oh, I see. Are you running the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta as shown here?

Posted 5 years ago

Flanders2

yes and thats the exact picture i have come up

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

I'm going to have to try this when I have a chance. So, you are trying to install Windows 7 from a DVD(?). And the first thing that it does is run the Upgrade Advisor and because of a simple warning you can't continue the install? What are the options to click on, if any?

Posted 5 years ago

Flanders2

ah no i downloaded it from the mircosoft website, and all it asks if i want to start the check over

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

You downloaded "it". What is "it"? The Upgrade Advisor or a Windows 7 Install DVD?

Posted 5 years ago

Flanders2

o i downloaded the windows 7 advisor beta

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Oh, OK. So the Upgrade Advisor is giving you that warning about Windows Mail and Parental Controls so that you are aware that these facilities, which are built-in to Vista, will not be built-in to Windows 7. That way, anyone who relies on these programs will not be shocked to find they are not pre-installed in Win7 and, as the guy at cnet says, if you click on the link the Advisor will tell you about Windows Live Essentials. I expect the reason that the warning doesn't go away when you install apps from the Windows Live suite is that they can never be 100% certain that you installed them and are aware of the need to install them again in Win7.

I put together a summary of Windows 7 Upgrade paths that is now a sticky thread in this forum. The Upgrade Advisor is mentioned along with many other concerns. I also tried the upgrade install and will report on that in a new thread.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.