The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows 7 upgrade

(6 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by spada05
  • Latest reply from spada05
  • Topic Viewed 868 times

spada05

I plan on upgrading right away on it's release. Here's my question: Will all of my programs and applications remain and be ready to go once the upgrade is complete?

Also, Windows 7 will just remove all of Vista and overwrite the information, right? I have no interest in having the 60GB or whatever the size of Vista is sitting unused.

Posted 4 years ago

Beauseph
Beauseph

depends on what OS you have now and where you live. If you live in the UK or have windows XP you have to do a Clean install leaving you without your programs. If you have vista then you will be able to do a upgrade keeping all of your files. Altho Myself and all of microsoft will tell you to do a clean install.

Posted 4 years ago

spada05

I live in Kentucky, I have Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I'm not opposed to doing a clean install, but here's my problem that I failed to explain previously; I bought the OS only a few weeks ago, and it came with an upgrade coupon. It only works if I already have the OS installed, and it won't work as a clean install.

Posted 4 years ago

cobija

according to microsoft, you must upgrade to the home prem 64 bit version

here is an article and the chart. the article helps alot, the chart is a little confusing

http://mossblog.allthingsd.com.....ial-chart/

http://mossblog.allthingsd.com.....-chart.png

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

spada05, see my previous thread on Windows 7 Upgrade Paths which should answer most questions. To check the programs that you have for compatibility, run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor under Vista now, or anytime before the actual upgrade.

From the chart(s) that are shown, you can only do an in-place upgrade to the Home Premium or Ultimate editions of Windows 7 64-bit. For all other paths, you would have to do a clean install.

@cobija, it is not a "must" upgrade, and it is not just Home Premium that is available to the OP. It just goes to show how confusing the chart is.

Posted 4 years ago

spada05

Ah, thank you for clearing that up. My apologies for not delving deeper into the forum before posting. I only have interest in utilizing the 64bit anyhow, so it works out well for me.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.