The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows 7 update

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by dulcie
  • Latest reply from oldgeezer
  • Topic Viewed 556 times

dulcie

I had to use system restore to remove a critical windows update that arrived a few days ago. All the writing on the brower pages had shrunk. i don't really know how to explain it. This is the 2nd time it has happened, but once removed, is ok again. However, I think it will return when the update comes again.
Can anyone help please?

Posted 1 year ago

scorpion99
scorpion99

It is preferable if you choose to update your Windows by setting it to :
"Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"
In this way , you will be able to avoid this specific windows update. Reporting what happens with you to Microsoft might help also.

Posted 1 year ago

dulcie

Thanks for that but I'm never sure whether I need them or not (the updates!) When I did the system restore, it said it was a critical update. How would I report to Microsoft? Not sure of these things.

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

If updates cause issues then it is usually down to something on the system that is causing a conflict - the updates themselves are tested and pushed out to millions of systems, usually without problem, so it's a matter of finding out what, on your system, is peculiar that it causes the issue.

In this instance, because it is an issue with a browser, the first thing to do is try running the browser with all add-ons, extensions etc. turned off - how you do this depends on the browser but for Internet Explorer (for example) type 'Internet Explorer' (without the commas) into the search box and select 'Internet Explorer (no add-ons). If the browser acts as normal then you need to go through the add-ons and see which one is causing the issue.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!