The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows 7 Thumbnail view changes

(6 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by RosemaryAmy
  • Latest reply from RosemaryAmy
  • Topic Viewed 987 times

RosemaryAmy

I am trying to display jpeg views at the front of my folders, this I can do, however after a month or so the jpeg view disappears. The folder contains an assortment of file formats eg .svg .knk and .gsd. I have removed the jpeg files so that they are not actually in the folder. If I add another file format to the folder this changes the jpeg view at the front of the folder it either puts another picture there or no picture at all. i have spent ages trying to sort this so if anyone can help it would be appreciated

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Hi RosemaryAmy,

Welcome to HTG :)
I don't work with 7 myself, but I take it this won't be much different from Vista.
You can place a jpg called folder.jpg in the folder and then the folder will display this image on front. You can set the jpg to 'hidden' so it won't be in your way.
If you take out the jpg the folder will display the same icon for a while, but eventually the iconcache will get refreshed and then the jpg image disappears and it either replaced by another image that happens to be in the folder or with a generic foldericon, when there is no image available.

If you don't want to keep the jpg file in the folder you can also create your own icons with a program like IcoFX and then use that icon as the icon for the folder.
Let me know if you need help with that ;)

Cheers,
Sarah.

Posted 4 years ago

RosemaryAmy

Thank you Sarah, I just tried that and it worked, will now have to wait and see if it remains like that! I appreciate your help.
Rosemary

Posted 4 years ago

RosemaryAmy

Thumbnail view has disappeared again. I named the jpg I wanted displayed at the front as Folder.jpg then went to properties, customize and choose file, I selected the Folder.jpg There are no other picture files in the folder. I have the always show icons never thumbnails unchecked.
Over the last 3 months I have had many suggestions on how to fix this issue I have a lot of files I need to change taking weeks to do but so far nothing I have done has worked it is very frustrating.
Thanks
Rosemary

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

In Vista I don't even have to go to properties, customize and choose file. I just drop a jpg called folder.jpg in a folder and the foldericon will display that image.
Sorry I can't be of more help :(

Posted 4 years ago

RosemaryAmy

Thank you for trying to help, don't think I like windows 7, my cutting files are useless if I cannot see the picture.
Rosemary

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!