How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows 7 startup problem

(44 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Citizzen
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 975 times

presence1960
presence1960

Lol Rick. That's why I will never buy a computer. If for whatever reason I could not build one I would pay someone to build one for me.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

Rick, You know what causes most of the failures. That little 100mb partition.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

You know I've always thought that if one purchased a a copy of windows and clean installed their Laptop machine after they purchased it, probably the machine would last for many years if they didn't abuse it. (Especially if they installed the O/S with only one partition on the hard drive)

Folks, for some reason, never purchase a copy of Windows when it comes pre-installed and that causes 99% of the problems with OEM machines.

(LOL) I posted before reading the post above. Slow Typing -(LOL)

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

You have to run startup/repair 3 times because it fixes only one of those steps at each run:

bootrec /FixMbr
bootrec /FixBoot
bootrec /RebuildBcd

Theoretically you can also run this via cmd, but that only works if you reboot after each step.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

can't argue with that Rick. I hate the OEM manufacturers for other reasons as well. They use some really cheap PSUs. And some of them have that damn removable cage that only holds one, maybe two hard disks if you are lucky on their desktop machines.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

g-x, You can get rid of the 100MB partition if you do this: http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....sybcd.html

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I say just Clean Install a new OEM Machine when you purchase it, no need for fooling around with Easy BCD.

Treat it like you just built the machine yourself. :) :)

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

But if you do a clean install, make it into a predefined primary, active partition. Then you also get away without the 100MB system partition. But the end effect is the same as if you moved the bootmgr.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Ya, that's true.

Just a hint, responders need to study GPT Disk / UEFI Bios Machines as all windows 8 machines now are shipped in that configuration.

All the info and utilities are up on MS TechNet to make tools.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Speaking of a real pain.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Ya, you can run Windows 8 on a regular MBR Disk HOWEVER the Machine Bios must have plenty of settings.

I don't think the OEM machines are going to have all the EFI Bios Settings that a Builder MB has so they will be a pain for sure when it comes time to fix an O/S.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

whs, I agree with you most times but if I have a choice I'd do a clean install with one partition. The EasyBCD would be only if I had a disk full of applications and didn't want to reinstall everything.
Since EasyBCD only copies the files to "C" I had given some thought into using it then making an image without the boot partition. Format the HDD then recover the image onto the HDD without the 100mb partition

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Yeah, thats one way of doing it. I always copy the bootmgr to C for preinstalled systems. Then I make an image, exchange the HDD for a SSD and recover the image.

PS: I wonder whether our poor OP is still alive. I think we totally confused him.

Posted 1 year ago

Citizzen

Removed the second hard disk and now i only have my old one with win7,I did the "rebuild" MBR and now doing the startup recovery.The first time it gave me a message "startup recovery cannot fix the problem automatically",doing it 2more times so let's see.

I actually tried all the bootrec commands(including boot sect/nt60 all) with the command prompt yesterday already with no luck.

My PC actually came with vista years ago,but after I bought it I put clean install of win7 and upgraded the RAM,the win7 got from Internet.Never had issues till I decided I know enough to mess with it, apparently I was wrong...

Posted 1 year ago

Citizzen

Second time,same result-it says startup repair cannot fix the issue automatically

Posted 1 year ago

Citizzen

Third time was the same,fourth time it said it could not find any problems.the PC still does not start though.any other suggestions?
How is a installation DVD better then recovery cd if you have to repair a start up issue like mine or they both do the same thing?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

OK, what do you want to do ??

Clean install ??

Do you have a Full Installation Copy of Windows 7 ??

Posted 1 year ago

Citizzen

I don't want to do clean install,if I did I would have done it 2 days ago,I want to get the current win7 up and running that's all.right now my PC's hardware is back to the way it was before I had the problem,but won't start.tried also to reset the bios by taking out the battery on the motherboard,but no result.

Found another forum where specifically was said if you install XP and have win7 your win7 won't start after and they suggested to use bootsect/nt60 all in the cmd to restore the missing boot loader and I did that as well-didn't work...

I'll do it again now cause I think when I did it I still had both hard drives(I mean the bootsect/nt60 all)

Posted 1 year ago

Citizzen

Failed again

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

How much Important stuff do have on the HD ??

Do you have TWO HDs are just two Partitions on one HD ??

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-computer/

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!