How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows 7 startup problem

(44 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Citizzen
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 975 times

Citizzen

Here is my issue:

My pc runs on win7,found and extra hard drive and decided to install it for more gbs.After installing the second hard drive which happen to have winXP on it,the PC started right away withXP instead win7.shut it down and took of the extra hard drive,tried to restart my PC and now Win7 would not load and keeps on restarting.Tried startup repair,system restore,bootrec /fixboot from the command prompt and nothing worked.thanks for the help

Just did rebuildbcd from the command prompt and it said total identified windows installations:0

Also win7 loads up for 5 sec you see the dots connecting and then it restarts

Posted 1 year ago

scorpion99
scorpion99

when booting , try to click on F8 and choose : Last Known Good Configuration
If it doesn't work , try to boot with a Windows 7 DVD and do a system restore.

Posted 1 year ago

Citizzen

So I tried last know configuration,tried to boot with win 7 recovery DVD and it did some repairs restarted and the result was the same-windows still does not start.i actually put back the extra hard drive and installed vista on it so I can access the Internet ,so now I can open the files in the hard drive with the win 7 trough win vista.any other suggestions will be appreciated,thanks

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

The bootmgr was probably on the XP disk. What you have to do is:

1. Activate the Win7 partition - e.g. with the bootable CD of Partition Wizard
2. Run Startup/Repair 3 times with your installation/recovery disc

Then set the BIOS to boot from the Win7 drive and it should work.

Posted 1 year ago

Citizzen

This might be a silly question,but how do I activate win7 partition?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Use the bootable CD of Partition Wizard. highlight the partition > go to the Partition tab > Modify > you'll see.

Posted 1 year ago

Citizzen

Recovery cd and bootable cd is that the same thing?when you say modify is that the section where you see the startup repair,system restore and command prompt options?

Posted 1 year ago

Citizzen

I've done more then 10 startup repairs already and same result,only now when it starts it gives me an option to choose vista or 7 and on Win7 in brackets it says (recovered) which aperantly is not since still does not start.
Is there a way to fix the bootmgr from the command prompt option if maybe that's causing the problem.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

You can do 100 startup/repairs. If the partition is not active, it won't do anything. Why don't you just do what I posted.

Posted 1 year ago

Citizzen

I though I did,can you explain it a bit better,is the bootable cd same as a recovery cd cause I only have a recovery cd?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Does "Partition Wizard" sound like that. http://partitionwizard.com/par.....le-cd.html

Posted 1 year ago

Citizzen

Ok,thanks ill try it in a bit and will let you know if I had any success

Posted 1 year ago

Citizzen

Ok,I made the bootable cd,opened the partition wizard,went to partition tab and then modify but the partition was active already.i deactivated it and then activated it again,run the startup repair 3 times then went in BIOS and made sure the drive is the primary device to boot from(it was anyways) and no result.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Hmm, try a repair/install with the installation disk. Here is how.

Posted 1 year ago

Bumpkin

Since you already have the Partition Wizard boot disc try this: Boot and highlight the drive with Windows 7. Look on the left side of Partition Wizard and click on "Rebuild MBR".

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

Have you tried uninstalling your 2nd HDD? Like whs said your bootmgr appears to be on your old HDD. As long as that is installed you will have the same reoccuring problem. Once this is done you probably will have to do the rebuild MBR and maybe the Run Startup/Repair 3 times with your installation/recovery disc.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@ Tom,

I've seen the (3) time deal you advised but don't understand where that comes from ??

Please fill me in. :)

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Rick, see point #5 here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....-boot.html

Greg is an outstanding MVP who has fixed a lot of systems.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Ya Good Tips for sure. :)

Have you ever noticed that only the OEM machines have 99% of the failure to start problems ??

Very, very few Builders Machines ever have a startup problem unless a hardware component fails.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

I have noticed that Start Up repair sometimes needs to be run more than once to make repairs. Why I do not know, maybe it does not fix multiple problems at once or has a limit on how many issues it can fix at once

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!