The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

windows 7 spwizeng.dll error

(10 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by rocky6190
  • Latest reply from merrickm
  • Topic Viewed 59063 times

rocky6190

I have downloaded Windows 7 from the offical Microsoft website and have mounted the ISO image using Virtual Clone Drive. I opened up the file and then selected setup.exe to launch the Windows 7 installation. However i get the following error

"D:/Sources\SPWIZENG.DLL is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support."

The above error is then followed by the following error

"The file autorun.dll could not be loaded or is corrupt. Setup cannot continue. Error code is [0xc1]"

I have done extensive searching on Google for a solution but im unable to find one. I am however able to find many posts from users who have the same problem, not only with Windows 7, but with Vista and XP too. This error seems to happen on actual DVD's aswell as ISO's.

Please can someone help, like many others, ive waited a while to get my hands on Windows 7 and it's getting a little fustrating.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs

Are you trying to run Win7 from an external drive? If so, I´m not sure if that is possible!! Maybe someone else knows better though.

Posted 5 years ago

rocky6190

I have the external drive connected via USB, i am running the install from the internal HDD hoping i can select the external drive during Windows setup.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs

The easiest way would be to partition your internal HD and make space for Win7 in order to dual boot. Have you tried burning the .iso to a DVD and then booting from your DVD Drive? Another option would be to run Win7 in a Virtual Machine, have a look here. Either way you will need enough space on your internal HD, using the VM method will definitaely allow you to boot straight from the .iso.

Posted 5 years ago

rocky6190

I was going to partition my drive but then i come across the problem where Vista says i have 0 space to shrink the volume, when actually i have 25GB free space. I ran a defrag using PerfectDisk has some other forums recommended, but Vista Partitioning still says 0 free space. Therefore i thought the only way forward would be to use my external hard drive.

Looks like i will have to solve the partition issue, but then again, lots of other people still have the .dll error when running the file from a DVD too.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs

Then it sounds like a bad download, I have heard of people having to download the image a few times until it worked!!

Posted 5 years ago

rocky6190

Ummmm

Posted 5 years ago

rocky6190

madmacs, to be honest, i didn't think it would be a bad download, but i took your advice and tried it. It worked. Thanks alot, now all i need to do is sort out the partioning :(

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs

Glad it helped, lol. Have a look at this and see if it helps.

Posted 5 years ago

merrickm

This helped me, also. Thanks a lot!

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.