How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

windows 7 slowing down entire internet network

(10 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by timmyaung
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 5466 times

timmyaung

Hi,

I have just installed windows 7 ultimate on my pc (dual-booted with xp), and every time I use it it slows down my entire network (3 computers, 2 wired and 1 wireless). Without windows 7 my internet network works fine. Thanks for any help!

Posted 5 years ago

whs

If you posted the configuration, we would have a better clue. In principle that should not happen.

Posted 5 years ago

ispalten

What is your definition of 'slows down the entire network'?

About the only way to really slow it down would be if it caused a wireless network to be 'mixed', that is going from N only to G and N speeds. If this isn't the case, then the W7 system has to be generating serious network traffic, possibly showing up as errors in your Even Viewer on one of the systems.

Along with the configuration, please post all systems, OS, network speeds, router used, and how connected.

Irv S.

Posted 5 years ago

timmyaung

Hey sorry I was busy for a week...

"slowing down the entire network" as in slowing down the internet on all computers.

I have a Belkin N Router (recently replaced after I thought it was caused by the the router and called them).
I have 3 computers: 2 wired (one is my win7 x64 (with xp x86 as dualboot) and the other is just winxp x86), and a wireless netbook with winxp x86.
When I use just the winxp on all my computers, my internet speeds would be great and everything would work fine. This is no different with one,, two or three computers using the internet. But once I connect my windows 7, it slows down my internet on the same computer as well as the other 2. After a few speedtests I noticed my speeds going way below (ie. downloads from 12.8 mb/s -> 2.3mb/s... and ping from 12ms --> 1881ms... and upload is from .4mb/s --> .2mb/s.)

The router company when I called had me play around with the win7 machine's duplex speeds and ipv4 configurations but after they concluded that wasn't the cause they just sent me a new router, which still hasn't helped. The configurations they changed are now back to default.

Again, thanks for any help!

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

From you description as I understand it the booting of the W7 64 bit dual boot causes the problem? The same h/w when run as 32 bit XP works fine. Has to be the 64 bit driver then I'd say. Defective card or defective driver I'd guess? N speed networks will slow down to the slowest load they see. If mixed mode, my LinkSys N will drop from 270 Mbps to 130 Mbps as reported by the wireless applet. If I run the router as N only the 'offending' devices either can't connect to have a hard time sending stuff. In my case this was an HP Premium Printer C309g (N speed, don't let the G in the number fool you) and a Wii which is G only. In MIXED mode for the signal, the Wii can connect, but the network speed is cut in 1/2. The HP printer, well, I wanted N speed and it was returned. Unless it was put in G it hardly worked.

See if the NIC vendor has a driver update. If on the motherboard, consider getting a new NIC and putting it in and disabling the motherboard one? If it is a card, switch it with the one in the other wired XP machine and see what happens?

What I don't understand is how a wired card could effect a wireless signal?

Taking a different approach, I wonder if the W7 is causing significant network traffic? Essentially overloading the network? How/what are you using to determine network speed other than PING? Have you looked in W7's Event Viewer to see if there are repeated errors and warnings from network components? Is LLTD installed on all XP systems? If not, install it from HERE, does that help?

Also check out THIS MS link to troubleshoot network connections, the network slow one specifically. Could be a W7 card property setting? I guess you could boot both systems and compare the card properties, copy on paper the XP boot and then boot W7 and check them?

Irv S.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

timmyaung

Hi, thanks for the extra info. I will try and reformat my pc to see if it can fix any problems. I have already found the latest drivers for my asus motherboard on the asus website, but it still hasn't helped. I don't think of it as a network card problem because it works fine on my xp x86. Also, I find my test results using speedtest.net, a speedtest by my local isp, and speakeasy (which i think is the same in servers to speedtest.net. Thanks for your help again.

Posted 4 years ago

JoeyB

timmyaung, have you found out what the problem is/was? I'm having the same trouble here with Windows 7. I have 4 PC's (2 wired XP, 1 wireless XP, 1 wired Win7). The Win7 32bit machine was Win XP before upgrading the OS. Never had any trouble with the network, internet speed, etc. Since installing Win7, all the computers internet speed on the network will come to a crawl in 5-6 hours, pages will cease to load eventually. Re-booting the Netgear WGR614 v6 router solves the problem. This does not happen when the Win7 machine is off the network or before Win7 was installed. All patches, security updates are installed. Originally I thought it was the router dying out, tried a new Linksys one with even worse results. Didn't last 2 hours without a reboot. The netgear is only in G mode if that matters. This network/internet ran great for over a year before installing Windows 7. I have a 5th PC which is hooked directly to the modem so I know that it's not my ISP. Internet is fast when the other PC's can't even display the web pages. A reboot of the router will fix the problem but this is getting to be a pain. Anyone have any ideas? I'd appreciate any comments on this. If you need any other info, just let me know.

Posted 4 years ago

Bartman

Hi JoeyB. Welcome to HTG. Please start a New Topic for your problem.

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue

Hi JoeyB, please post your question/problem in another thread

the Bartman beat me to it, heh

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

JoeyB,
---
Do have the DSL Modem setup in Bridge Mode and the Router Configured for PPPoE ??
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.