How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows 7 slc.dll error

(20 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by cthomas88
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 10331 times

cthomas88

Hi all,

I have had windows 7 for a week it worked fine but now i get a slc.dll error every time i start the pc in normal or safe mode, the explorer.exe will not load so i cannot go to the start or open windows update or anything. I have tried to system restore and it started to restore then said there was a error, so i started again and all my restore points have now been erased.

i get the following error when i try to do anything that involves explorer.exe
-----------
explorer.exe - bad image
c:\windows\system32\slc.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original
installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support
-----------
i cannot do anything with the slc.dll file like rename it or anything, i think it has something to do with software licensing??

i can run programs like ie.exe and all the other programs installed on my pc, so it is very strange, it is as if the operating system has shut down but i am still allowed to use my programs,

i have windows 7 ultimate, it is a legal copy i had activated it and everything.

So if anyone knows any solutions i would be happy to try,

Thanks in advance

Carl

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Hi cthomas88, welcome to HTG. The error you are receiving (slc) is the software licensing client and will be a major pain in the backside to remove, if at all!! The best way to get rid of this would be a fresh install, backup all of your data if possible and start over again. Matt

Posted 4 years ago

cthomas88

thanks for the reply, i thought that would be the answer. do you know the best way to fresh install?

thanks

carl

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Hi Carl, do you have a lot to backup?

Posted 4 years ago

cthomas88

no nothing, everything is on a external hard drive so that is safe, just my operating system and software is on my computer, and i have all the disks for the software so that is fine, just wiping the hard drive clean will do for me if you can help, thanks

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Carl, if you want to be really sure that the harddrive (HDD) is wiped then use DBAN. It will take quite a while depending on what method you use, and how large your HDD is but nothing will be leftover!!! When you have completed the format then install from your DVD as usual. The legit copy is original (or .iso) or do you only have a legit key? or both? Matt

Posted 4 years ago

cthomas88

Hello again,

I have tried to delete everything off my hdd butno luck. I put the .iso onto a disk as it says in the instructions and put it in my computer rebooted and i have tried all the options, it takes like 2 minutes for it to say it has completed but when i try without the disk everything is still there.

I have a solid state drive running through a SATA cable. Does it work on this type of drive?

Thanks

Carl

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Hi cthomas88, I didn´t realize that you had a solid state drive!! I do not think dban would work on one of those drives, infact you shouldn´t use it at all. I´m no expert in SSD´s so I will have to have a look around for you. One of our members uses such a drive I will see if he could help you out. Matt

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Matt. It's not a problem. (your advice to the OP is ok).

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

I would first "wipe" the drive. Have a look at your SSD manufacturers website how "wipe" works for this particular drive. After a wipe, your drive is all clean. At the same time check whether the drive's firmware supports Trim. If it is an OCZ Vertex, you need firmware level 1.4 which just came out.

Posted 4 years ago

cthomas88

does anyone know how to erase the ssd? i have tried everything even hooking it up to my other pc but it just starts crashing the pc. I think i need a boot disk or something like the DBAN stated above to wipe it clean. even when i try to install windows again it does not recognise the SSD on my new pc.

Thanks

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Yes. Use DBAN. (1 pass only).

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

My guess would be that it has a bunch of orphaned records. That is very messy. It might help if you told us the make and model of the SSD. Attach it via USB to another system and try to reformat it.

Posted 4 years ago

cthomas88

it is kingston SNV125-S2/128GB v-series, i have attached it by SATA cable but no luck, i do not have a cable that attaches the SSD to USB

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

If you have any cable for data transfer from a camera, that might fit. The Kingston is similar to the Intel.

Posted 4 years ago

cthomas88

all my other cables i have are usb 2.0 really, the sockets on the back of the SSD are SATA and a 4 pin connector

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

Too bad. On my OCZ Vertex, I can attach to USB with my camera cable.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

whs. mini USB ?

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

Yes, but there are different kinds. Mine is for e.g. Sony. The Kodac cable, for example, is different.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

whs. So much for standardisation :)

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!