How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows 7 Shutdown problem

(2 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by flodaddy
  • Latest reply from Wevenhuis
  • Topic Viewed 598 times

flodaddy

Hello,
I have a Emachines D525 laptop that will not shutdown, hibernate or sleep without coming back on about 4-6 seconds after it appears to be a normal shutdown. I have posted this problem in many forums and don't really get a specific answer. I have tried many different things, almost too many to remember them all or put here. My main question is this; emachines support said a few weeks after I bought it to do a fresh install of Windows 7 Home Premium. However, I did not receive the original DVD's to do this. If my backup is on a partition, isn't it likely that I will have this problem from the files that caused it in the first place? I made a repair disc and a recovery disc (3 DVD's), but have been skeptical to do this and have been trying to solve my problem. The only way that I can get the computer to turn off is to manually force it off by holding the button for 5 seconds or more. I have tried settings, command line shutdowns, a "mini XP" CD, and even a Ubuntu Linux disc (without installing the program on this computer) and have had no luck. I unstalled Norton (one suggestion), tried updating all drivers, and other things that I can't even remember now. Any other suggestions are welcomed; If I have tried it already, I'll let you know.

Thanks in advance; I subscribed to the articles from this site when my XP computer crashed, and it helped me recover files. I do have Ubuntu on that computer now...I have a bit of a learning curve, but it is nice to have a Windows alternative. I do like Win7 and my laptop, so I want to try to get this taken care of once and for all, hopefully!

John

Posted 4 years ago

Wevenhuis

Could you mention which solutions you have tried up till now?

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!