How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows 7 router driver!!

(17 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by jorgemartins
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 2269 times

jorgemartins

Hi all,
Yesterday I pressed the network button on windows 7 start menu and it opened my home network with all the stuff. Within this, was my router wich I doubled clicked.
Windows 7 tried to install my router driver, wich, of course was not possible.
The problem is that after it, the device appears on device manager as an unknow device. I uninstall it, but everytime I restart my notebook, windows 7 tries to reinstall the router driver.
Can anyone help to stop this?
Thannks,
Jorge

Posted 4 years ago

kenghosh

Well try updating the driver for the chipset and possibly update the WLAN driver,,,,,the issue would be resolved.

Posted 4 years ago

jorgemartins

Thanks Kenghosh,
I don't want to update the driver. It is my router! I always go to my router with the internet explorer and the router IP.
I would like to definitely uninstall the driver.
Can anyone help me doing this?
Thanks,
Jorge

Posted 4 years ago

JoshTheBod

So jorge what are you trying to do exactly? Remove the current driver for your router or install it and make win 7 remember the config?
EDIT: Also what brand of rotuer do you have i.e. Belkin because maybe the drivers as kenghosh said are out-of-date and you would need to update them from the manufacturers website.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

Besides the make and model of the router, can you post a screenshot of what is being asked for by W7 as well as a screenshot of the general tab of the unknown device?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

jorgemartins

Thanks for your quick answers.
I want to uninstall the driver, because, by mistake I have clicked the router on the Start Menu - Network:

By the way, the router is a D-Link DIR-655.
Now I am on a loop, if I uninstall it on the next restart the notebook tries to install the driver again!
There'a a pic of the device manager:

Thanks,
Jorge

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

No pic linked...

Does EVERYTHING work OK? If so, just open the device in device manager and say do not use this device as a last resort?

I'd sure like to get a look at what you are seeing? I'm wondering if you're seeing the built-in NIC possibly, and you are using a USB device? If so, in BIOS, turn off the NIC and that will stop it too.

The DIR-655 has a 'shareport', did you attach anything, like a printer to it? If so, that may be what it is trying to load a driver for?

A screenshot of what the Install Wizard is looking for, file that is, might also help here.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

jorgemartins

jorgemartins

Hi,
Yes, everything is working perfectly.
I never connected the router to my notebook. I acess it by wifi, via internet explorer.
So the router is a network device ob my home network, but it doesn't have a driver to be installed!
Can you explain, please: "just open the device in device manager and say do not use this device as a last resort?"
I only have these two options:
1. Disable
2. Uninstall
I have used both, but everytime I restart the notebook, it tries to install this "router driver" again!
Thanks,
Jorge

Posted 4 years ago

jorgemartins

There's the messages on Windows 7 Action Center:
A Gestão de Controladores concluiu o processo para instalar o controlador NULL Driver para o ID de Instância de Dispositivo UUID:A3436D09-7842-3A1F-AD5F-8BFA2639E033\UMB\3&2E0C5B5&0&UUID:A3436D09-7842-3A1F-AD5F-8BFA2639E033 com o estado seguinte: 0xe0000203.
A Gestão de Controladores concluiu o processo para instalar o controlador FileRepository\umbus.inf_x86_neutral_b5261e2f9508e396\umbus.inf para o ID de Instância de Dispositivo UMB\UMB\1&841921D&0&IPBUSENUMROOT com o estado seguinte: 0x0.

Sorry, the message is in Portuguese.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

Confusing to say the least?

OK, I found the manual on the web. I'm pretty sure this is the SHAREPORT that is enabled and you have to install it on YOUR computer, from the manual,

++++++++++++++++++
USB Settings
Use this section to configure your USB port. There are two configurations to choose from: Network USB and WCN Configuration.

Note: If using the Network USB option, users will need to install the Network USB Utility into the computers to share the USB device through the router.
++++++++++++++++++

The above is on page 28, and this is the NOTE for it,

++++++++++++++
Note: Please see the SharePort Manual on the CD for more information.
++++++++++++++

I ran the router emulator and got to that page, and the help there is :

+++++++++++++++
USB Settings

Network USB
Select to share a USB printer, scanner, or storage device connected to the USB port behind the router with multiple users within your network.

Support
Device drivers and the D-Link USB Network Utility must be installed on each computer that will use the device.

++++++++++++++++

So, it looks like you've enabled the Shareport. Either disable it or install the drivers and utility. Unfortunately, I don't see how to disable that port? Maybe change the type? Maybe best thing to do is install the driver and utility?

HERE is an article on it.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

jorgemartins

Thank you very much Irv for your help.

I have installed the SharePort utility from the router CD. You're right, my router have this "Network USB", selected by default. I have never changed this.

After the installation the driver problem persists, please follow the link and see the image:

http://texxsa.blu.livefilestor.....Driver.jpg

Wird thing!

Thanks and regards,

Jorge

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

You running 64 bit version of W7? I think I saw a page with someone unable to install it on 64 bit systems... can't find it now however?

Are you using the LATEST FIRMWARE and DRIVERS?

Firmware -- latest is 1.32NA (North American possibly).
Driver and Utility --> 1.14 on firmware 1.20 or older, 1.10 on 1.31 or newer.

You can get these HERE.

Posted 4 years ago

jorgemartins

No, I am running 32 bit professional W7.
I supose my router firmware is not the last one. I am running 1.21EU (Europe)
Anyway, I cannot install a North American firmware.
I have to check if there is a new one for Europe.
Thanks Irv

Posted 4 years ago

FelixDaHousecat

Hang on a minute!

Since when do wireless routers need a Windows driver???

How are you connecting to this router and what are you trying to do?

Posted 4 years ago

jorgemartins

That's the point!
I have never installed a router driver, I just douled-clicked the router icon on my network map and windows 7 tried to install that driver.
I think it was suposed to get to the router login page, but, I don't know why it tries to install a driver that does not exist.
Disabling and uninstalling it, enters in a loop trying to install it again!
I am wondering why.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

The router he had, the D-Link DIR-655 has a 'storage link'. A USB connector on it. To use it, you must install a driver and utility on connected computers. He's tried that and it is still prompting him. Suspect the driver didn't install correctly.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.