The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

WINDOWS 7 QUESTION

(8 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by tmonkey2394
  • Latest reply from 0zSpitt
  • Topic Viewed 2914 times

tmonkey2394

Do you think Windows 7 will be a better Operating System than Windows Vista?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

I think that it already is. I have installed Windows 7 RC on my primary system in a dual boot with Vista and on my older, secondary system in a dual boot with XP. On my primary system, I am pretty much always booting to Windows 7 RC lately. On the secondary system, XP and Windows 7 RC get about equal time.

But "better" is a subjective measure so you need to define what it means to you.

Posted 5 years ago

tmonkey2394

Well I mean like in Speed, Features and all the kind of stuff.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

I haven't seen any benchmarks of the speed of Windows 7. It is clearly faster at booting, shutting down, and entering and resuming from sleep modes. Every review I have seen agrees with these points. In terms of the speed of menus, windows, application launches and so on, I have not seen any hard data. To me, it seems no better or worse than Vista which I have always been very satisfied with. I also haven't seen any benchmarks on whether applications run faster, slower, or no different under Windows 7 than other Windows.

There are many new features in 7, though nothing that is a major departure from Vista. If you are familiar with Vista, 7 will feel very comfortable and has a shallow learning curve. XP users may find it jarring, but that would be true of moving from XP to Vista because so much was changed and added. Among the new features are Libraries, HomeGroup, Aero Peek & Snap & Shake, a redesigned taskbar, jump lists, and so on. See more at the Windows 7 home page.

Posted 5 years ago

tmonkey2394

Ok I am thinking about Buying the PRE-ORDER FOR WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM. Should I do the dual boot or do I just do A CLEAN INSTALL WITH WINDOWS 7?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

The discounted pre-orders of Windows 7 are Upgrade versions, so they will replace your existing OS. Unless you are already running a dual boot with two valid Windows licenses, the Upgrade version will require a clean install to replace your existing Windows Vista install. Of course, you could purchase the full retail version, but it is not discounted. There is a confusing array of options -- see the Windows 7 pricing thread where we are discussing it all.

Also, have you tried running Windows 7 RC on your system? If not, you should run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to insure that there will be no problems running Windows 7 on your hardware and with your applications.

Posted 5 years ago

Shameemsmd

Windows 7 is a cool upgrade upon vista... It is fast more agile and consumer less ram. Vista consumes almost 37 to 51% of ram but where as w7 it takes just 25 to 30%. So makes ur pc go faster. And the visuals are also great... The options like aero peek and the wallpaper changing options are cool enough to keep ur pc lively and beutyful.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

i'm running windows7 along with vista trimmed down with vlite. other than a few visual effects i'm favoring the vlite install although win7's version of wmc is a lot better. i've always used quad core processors and 4gb of ram so rescourses was never an issue. (feel free to spell check me, too)

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.