The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows 7 Product Key

(2 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by memman
  • Latest reply from baldeguy56
  • Topic Viewed 1397 times

memman

When Microsoft announced its cheap upgrade pricing for Windows 7 a while back, I advance purchased the Win 7 Professional upgrade edition (presumably to be released on October 22). In the meantime, I installed the RTM version of Windows 7 on my machine and it's working beautifully. I have not yet “activated” it, choosing to wait for the official product key in the upgrade version that I purchased (I can use the installed RTM version for up to 120 days without activation). Here’s my problem. I did a clean install with the RTM, not an in-place upgrade. I know from past experience that Microsoft product keys can be twitchy. Will I be able to use the forthcoming upgrade product key with a cleanly installed OS? I can't remember the circumstances, but in the past I've gotten messages stating that the product key I was attempting to use was not suitable for an upgrade install. I don't want that to happen again after fully configuring my machine and using it for a few months. TIA.

memman

Posted 4 years ago

baldeguy56
baldeguy56

memman, Welcome to HTG. I have also installed Win7 and just love it. Everything seems to run faster on it. Of your concern I agree with you that Microsoft product keys can be twitchy, but wouldn't activating your 7 RTM, now, resolve most of your concerns? Personally, I would reason, in that, a smoothe transition with the upgade would outweigh any problems or aggrevation that could be caused by activating the key, now. You already have a good start with the clean install of Win7, please consider to take it all the way through. A clean install appears to be the way to go when installing an operating system, especially Win7. Ensures there is nothing to conflict with 7, it can make its' own partitions and place what files go where and nothing will go bump with it in the dark....Best wishes...Garry

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!