• Started 5 years ago by Jigouttrev
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 33255 times

Jigouttrev

Do you think it is possible?

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

No, it's not possible. The PS3 uses the Cell processor, and Windows runs only on x64 or x86.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Good Info !!!!

--------------------

History:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_microprocessor

Posted 5 years ago

Jigouttrev

well isn't it possible cuz u can install linux,
off of linux u can run virtual box and then win 7
but it would be relatively slow

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

That would not work, I think.

Posted 5 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

so, is it possible to run any other OS on PS3?

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

You can run Linux on it, but not Windows.

Posted 5 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

There are a lot of "Windows running on PS3" videos, but they are fake.

Posted 5 years ago

darkwolf
darkwolf

i heard something about sony having ALWAYS used a LINUX based program for ALL of their products. cellphones mp3 players etc......

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

darkwolf,

Info concerning Embedded Linux.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embedded_Linux

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

darkwolf
darkwolf

hey rick, i was more or less right. cellphones,mp3 players HAVE a flashdrive instead of a hard drive. NOTE: sony(erricson) CELLPHONES are flash units as well.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

darkwolf,

Thought you might like the info. (LOL)

Router and Modems for home networking use Linux also and MODDED versions can be installed.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

darkwolf
darkwolf

now my wife THINKS i AM nuts.lol. i am just a computer junkie.well sorta. i take old pc's and reformat the hdd's and put xp BACK on them.i have yet to know what the term "military wipe and format" means and HOW to do it.something that i have to learn.lol.
she was told BY a friend at work that w7 BETA does work on ps3. i told her just now to tell that person to PROVE IT.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

There is no way to natively run Windows 7 unmodified on a cell processor like the PS3 has.
The only way to run Windows 7 natively would be to update the Windows 7 code to run on a cell processor like the Linux kernel code has been updated.
The trick is that no body outside of Microsoft has the knowledge and source code to do that.
The developers that added support to Linux had the knowledge to add cell processor support to it and did so.
The only developers that could add support to Windows 7 would be the ones on the "Windows 7 development team" because of reasons listed above.

It is quite possible that someone could have run a visualization software within a Linux system on the PS3 and booted Windows 7 inside of it but that could hardly be called running it on a PS3 as Windows 7 would be using virtual hardware and have no way to use the cell processor.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.