The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

windows 7 on laptop rebooting

(8 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by bolohead
  • Latest reply from bolohead
  • Topic Viewed 716 times

bolohead

I have a new Gateway NV80 laptop with windows 7 home premium. I have added a internal harddrive as a backup and XP drive. Part way through working sessions, Windows reboots itself. Called Gateway, no luck on why or how to fix. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

bolohead, Hi. If you open Event Viewer, (found in Control Panel > Administrative Tools) and expand the System Tab, it should give details of any errors. Check it out and post back :-)

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

hi bolohead, Don't quite understand your post. You said you added another internal hdd as a backup?? How and where did you put 2 hdd's in a laptop? Do you mean you added another partition and installed XP on it or are you swapping hdd's out, one with Win7 & one with XP? Can you please explain the rebooting part way through working sessions. Are you in Win7 or Xp?

Posted 4 years ago

Pappasmurf911
Pappasmurf911

The laptop has an internal hdd and when you open it , you can add another i.o.w.
the laptop can have 2 hdd's(it has 2 slots for hdd's)

Posted 4 years ago

aldistuck

The second hdd is both a backup and winxp drive? So you are dual booting?
Do both OS's reboot?
Have you tried taking out the second hdd to see if that resolves the rebooting issue?

Posted 4 years ago

Pappasmurf911
Pappasmurf911

Yeah! he's duel booting,
its properly the xp one thats not booting, then he has to run a windows repair.
he most likely bought the l.t with win 7
(and who knows , he properly had a old l.t and took that hdd out and put it in his new one[with the xp still on it])

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

If he took out his old hdd with XP and installed in another laptop the hardware is not the same and he will get conflicts. There is a way to swap out hdd's but he would have to reinstall in his old laptop first.

Posted 4 years ago

bolohead

This was a brand new hard drive installed in the extra slot. The IT guys at my wifes workplace installed XP because her company only uses XP. I have not been able to reach them as yet. They installed the dual boot with the option to choose which you wanted to boot. Why it started to reboot when we went on the road is a mystery. Had no problems at home. Thanks for trying to help. Will be away from computer for awhile, so will be slow in answering you. Again, thanks.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.