The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows 7 .old files

(5 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by UPMI
  • Latest reply from UPMI
  • Topic Viewed 663 times

UPMI

Recently installed 7 from Vista. I did a clean install not an upgrade and now have an Windows.old folder that was generated with my old software on it. I did not know that some of the basic programs did not come with 7 (ex Microsoft Works). How am I able to get the programs that are in my Windows.old folder to work with my new OS?

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

UPMI hi. To what programs are you referring ?

Posted 4 years ago

UPMI

I had given the example of Microsoft Works, but I had the trial of Word and some others I had installed. I didn't have this computer or Vista for very long, so I didn't have much on anticipating going to Windows 7. So Works, Word, and others that came with Vista installed from HP that I don't have disks for, except the Recovery disks I made and whatever they included as backups for a reinstall. I can't get a complete list as I'm not at home. So I guess I'm not sure if I can get those programs from those recovery/reinstall disks, if I'm able to convert the programs in the Windows.old folder to be used, or if I'm SOL and have to either go back to Vista or purchase the programs I want that came loaded on the computer with Vista. Thanks in advance.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

It would be impossible to re-install those programs now. And programs that come pre-loaded are mostly trial versions anyway.
There is plenty of free software that is better. For instance, Open Office,
http://www.filehippo.com/download_openoffice/

Just let us know what else you would like.

Posted 4 years ago

UPMI

Thanks for the help. I will give Open Office a try and see how it works.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.