Hello,

I have a Dell Studio 1555 laptop. I have divided system partition into two. First has XP installed. On the second I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate.

I have an extended partition of 191GB which has been divided into 7 logical partitions. All these logical partitions work absolutely fine in WinXP. After installation of Win7 which went smoothly, I realized that I am only able to access my system partition and THE FIRST TWO LOGICAL PARTITIONS of my extended partition. Their size are 75GB and 25GB respectively. I am not able to access any of the remaining logical partitions.

During installation as well, the Win7 partition manager showed only the system + 2 logical partitions only. It is completely ignoring the remaining logical partitions.

I checked in Disk Management as well. This is what is shown:

As you can see, the other logical partitions are visible, but they have not been assigned letters. When I try to do that, I get an error as below:

I have tried restarting Disk Management, the whole PC but to no avail. I searched in Google for this error, but could not find a solution at all.

I even tried using Command Line Interface diskpart, but with no success:

I have no idea what else to do. I am not able to access my data from Win7 which is perfectly accessible from XP.

Does anybody have any other idea what is wrong here?

Posted 4 years ago