The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows 7 Not booting

(12 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by HunterHunted
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 461 times

HunterHunted

Well, I have to accept that I made a mistake trying to change the start orb, and then all hell broke loose. Previously it has always worked for me when I ran the utility to change the Start orb.

I always test on a virtual machine before applying to a host system, but this time I forgot and Windows stopped booting.

Now whenever I turn on my PC it gets stuck at Windows is loading files... as you can see below:

However, the boot animation begins in recovery:

http://i1151.photobucket.com/a.....222723.jpg

And then this window appears saying that its attempting to repair the problem, but the problem never resolves and the window never finishes.

http://i1151.photobucket.com/a.....222747.jpg

How can I solve this? I have already tried to restore from a Restore Point, but that did not work. Any other suggestions?

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Try pressing F8 repeatedly before this loading files screen appears and select safe mode or start windows normally.

If that does not work try following my post here.
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=4

Posted 1 year ago

HunterHunted

Sorry dear it didnt work Even though i corrected MBR and restored from provious Restore point but it always start playing the loop. I think I have to restore from actual Backup Image which I created when i installed the OS and after some tweaks. I hesitate to do this because that image is 10 month older. SInce then i didnt make a backup now I regret.

If u have any other solution let me know otherwise I will proceed with Actual Restore from Backup

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Ty following my post there to get to the command prompt and type the following command:

sfc /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=c:\ /OFFWINDIR=c:\windows

Use the appropriate drive letter.

Posted 1 year ago

HunterHunted

Ok i will use the mentioned command

sfc /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=c:\ /OFFWINDIR=c:\windows

Can i run this command from any where I mean do I have to be in Boot Media location.

I hope it will work. But i will like to thank u for giving me time.

Posted 1 year ago

HunterHunted

And one more thing If I have to use the Restore from the backup then will Restoring process deletes everything in Downloads folder in C:\ drive?????

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Whether it does, or it doesn't, you should have them backed up anyway (to an external device)

Posted 1 year ago

HunterHunted

@lighthouse, well I already have a ubuntu in same system. So by doing filesharing between the Ubuntu installed on Main system and windows installed on laptop i will copy them to laptop then I will restore the windows.

But do u have any other input other than shattering my confidence ;)

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Sorry, but it's a computer. Never trust 'em :)

Posted 1 year ago

HunterHunted

Hahahahahaha well said. I always hated installing OS. And this time i finally made record i didnt installed OS for last one year. And now it seems Karma is taking revenge for it.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

I have no probs with clean installs, but I also use images taken after a clean install (plus some changes) tis a lot quicker.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x

If you made a registry tweak maybe we could help if you explain

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.