SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Windows 7, new hard drive, moments till launch of notebook!

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by jbl246
  • Latest reply from jbl246
  • Topic Viewed 371 times

jbl246

XXXX
HP Pavilion dv7 3164 cl notebook
Came with windows 7 64bit 2 years ago...
Updated to Windows 8 oouple weeks ago...
Did not make Windows 8 recovery disks....
Came home after a couple days and notice screen saying that it is trying to repair itself. Let it run
Look at it later and BSOD
Turn off and try to reboot. Now getting missing bootloader and any other crap about booting...
So I attempt to turn into a computer expert with the help of a couple libations....
So I throw in the recovery disc from windows 7 I made....again downloader XXXX, blah, blah.
After many days of this shit I decide to test HDD and get imminent HDD failure. (punching babies)
Buy new HDD. Seagate momentus 500g 7200 rpm blah.
Pop that bad boy in and now I get more play from my neighbors dead dog.
I've got PW ready but using that is equivalent to speaking sand script.
Ordered new recovery disks from HP....well I lost a couple iq points when those thing hit the DVD drive. (alcohol abuse)
The sawz-all is warmed up and a gallon of gas is taunting me to take care
of my bootloader bundle.of.joy the proper way.

Please helpbefore my Indian name turns into Jason one hair as.opposed to Jason 3 hairs.

Edit by mod, no profanity please

Posted 1 year ago

jbl246

Sand scrit not script. My bad.

Posted 1 year ago

Kelen
Kelen

Well if you put a new hdd in and have the hp recovery discs, put the first one in and reboot the machine, should start the process. If not press either F9 or Esc as it starts up to get the boot selecetion menu.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I like the OP - he is funny. But back to your problem.

I suspect you made a mistake during the double boot setup. Check this tutorial for details.

Posted 1 year ago

jbl246

II have been in the boot selection menu and made changes many times. Currently.I have it set to boot.from the cd/dvd player to no avail. I'm back to getting.the " not a bootable device....please.put.in a.bootable.disk and hit any.button." It does that with the disks I just received from HP. It will boot up Partition Wizard when I put that in and Seatools (seagate help disk) as well. The strange thing is that in Partition Wizard when I go into "create a new partition" it does.not.let me.put in a drive letter.

Posted 1 year ago

jbl246

Is.the bios not seeing the drive? I can run test from the bios on that hard drive though.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Look at the COA sticked to your laptop for your Windows 7 version and product key. Download the corresponding official Windows 7 ISO image for your Windows 7 version from here:
http://www.askvg.com/direct-do.....nd-64-bit/

With Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool you can make a bootable DVD or USB with a Windows 7 ISO image.
Download and instructions: http://www.microsoftstore.com/.....vd_dwnTool

Use this DVD or USB to perform a clean install of Windows 7 with your product key. If you need any additional help just ask.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

jbl246

Many thanks to all who readily shared their knowledge to help me with my computer. It was Ruja's direction that finally solved my issue. Thank you for taking the time.to read through my tripe to help me.

After imbibing a few too many times.over the last 2 weeks I come out of this a few IQ points down courtesy of HP but feel I'm 2 points up because of this community.

Cheers
jaaon

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.