Windows 7 missing control panel

(17 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Stoker
  • Latest reply from Stoker
  • Topic Viewed 8312 times

Stoker
Stoker

Hi,

I am in need of assistance, I have lost my mind trying to figure this out.
I am a windows 7 ultimate 64bit user.

Here is my issue:

Control panel is missing on my start menu.

Here is what i have tried.

1) Going to The customize start menu and setting it as a Menu or a link,Control panel is not available as an option in this menu.
2)I have tried using multiple Registry tweaks which i have googled to try an get it to appear on the start menu, including looking for "nocontrolpanel" in the Registry editor and changing its value from 1 to 0 and vice versa. which is not resolved the issue.
3)I have even tried a third party windows 7 tool called Ultimate windows tweaker,Going to personalization, and than selecting "show control panel", this does not work either.
4)I have even tried to manually enable it to display on the start menu via Group policy, this is also a fruitless effort.
5) A system restore was also done and still no luck.

I have picked up that my local admin account(when enabled), shows the control panel in the start menu, and I got a feeling that it has to do with my NTUSER.DAT file.
I have not tried the Windows user state migration as i feel that it might be a waste of effort.(I might be wrong)
I do not wish to format my PC or delete my user profile as i'm interested in finding the solution for this.

Can anyone please assist perhaps with this issue, Please let me know as i will be happy to provide screenshots on request.

Thx in advance.

Posted 2 years ago

mfletch
mfletch

It just looks like you do not have admin rights

Is your user account a admin account

Posted 2 years ago

Stoker
Stoker

Yes it is an admin account, its the account which was created when windows was installed (keeping in mind that I used to have access to this control panel and it was on the start menu.) and if it were not an admin account I don't think would not have access to the registry,to gain access to change group policy as well as access the control panel and have the admin function as a whole. the control panel is accessible when you go enter control panel as a search, I have also pinned the control panel to my start menu as an alternative route to access the control panel. my PC is also regularly updated via windows updates and my anti virus is up to date, currently using AVG internet security 2011, and I have never had an instance where I was notified of a virus, also I have not used the PC tune up add on for AVG.

Posted 2 years ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

Is control panel accessible through safe mode?

Posted 2 years ago

marks100
marks100

also try , ..SFC /SCANNOW - click start > in the search box type cmd at the top of the start menu r/click on the command icon from the context menu select 'run as administrator' in the command box type sfc /scannow then hit enter note the space between c / then post back the result.

mark.

Posted 2 years ago

Stoker
Stoker

Its not available in safemode either using my userprofile.

Thanks mark I'm trying the command now,I will advise once the scan has completed.

It shouldn't take too long.

Posted 2 years ago

Stoker
Stoker

Hi, its a 15mb text format, seeoms like over 5000 pages, please advise how I can send the log file or if this blog allows for such a large post..

Posted 2 years ago

Stoker
Stoker

Hi, still no luck with sorting this conrtol panel out, any help will be appreciated.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Did you try typing Control in the start search?

Posted 2 years ago

unimatrix001

not sure if you are still looking for an answer but have you tried this yet. near the bottom there is a .reg file to fix this if its not there.
http://www.askvg.com/enable-hi.....sta-and-7/

Posted 2 years ago

Stoker
Stoker

Hi,

I am still looking for a solution to this issue.

I will try the Reg fix and let you know @ unimatrix001.

And @Xhi, yes searching for the control panel is still an option but i'd like to sort out the missing Icon in the Start menu as well as make it available in the Customize start menu options.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

I just wanted to know if the program existed at all is why I ask the question befor we go to some things that would not work anyway if it did not exist. Was it found by typing Control?

Posted 2 years ago

jhwalker
jhwalker

I am not sure whether this will work or not, but try it anyway:
Open up Windows Explorer in your desired way, either by a Start menu link (Documents, Pictures, Music, Computer etc.), or from a shortcut on the Desktop or Taskbar. With an Explorer window open, type into the address bar the following:
Control Panel
I doubt it will work, but it is worth a try. I shall attempt to find a remedy for you tonight, on my Win7 Home Premium laptop - I am currently 'elsewhere', using WinXP Pro..

Posted 2 years ago

Stoker
Stoker

The last information i got was from a friend who works at Microsoft, he told me that the issue was caused by one of their updates, i dont know which update it is, and service pack has NOT resolved my issue.

basically i can access the control panel but the fact that the Start menu has NO control panel button is irritating my, as a temporary solution i have pinned the Control panel to my task bar (quick launch) as well as created the God mode and pinned that to my task bar, but as stated before the control panel is accessible but not available on the Start menu and is not available in the customize start menu options.

Xhi, the control panel is available from searching control panel indeed.

Jhwalker, i really appreciate the effort you you are willing to put in.

thanks again guys,.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

You could try uninstalling the updates one by one. As you know when the problem started, check the update dates.
Do a full shutdown and startup between each one.
And make a note of each update.

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

look in your registry and see if this entry is there
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"Start_ShowControlPanel"=dword:00000001
This will show the control panel as a link
If you change the dword to :00000002
it will display as a menu.
Problem is you have made several changes and addes software to try and correct. You might have to undo some changes and un-tweak your software.

Posted 2 years ago

Stoker
Stoker

I will give both the updates and the registry a try thanks again guys.

I will respond with feedback tomorrow.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.