SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Windows 7 led to computer death - please help!

(4 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by thebonafortuna
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 617 times

thebonafortuna
thebonafortuna

Hi (and Merry Christmas if it applies),

PROBLEM:

I purchased Windows 7 for my sister for Christmas, and installed on her computer this afternoon. Everything went smoothly in "upgrading" from XP to 7. However, after installing, I was attempting to install McAfee when I got three error messages, it closed, and the computer died. I've tried booting up twice, in Safe Mode. The first time I got to the desktop and it died. The second time, I didn't even get that far, it just died.

My sister then went and tried booting it up again...and nothing. It's not even booting up anymore. No light when you plug it in, nothing. I had also upgraded her RAM this afternoon, so figuring that could be part of it, I pulled out the new stuff and put the old RAM back in. Didn't help. Now the machine won't even turn on. I've upgraded RAM on dozens of machines (included ThinkPads) in the past, and haven't had this problem.

I'm at a bit of a loss. I would be more than happy to install from an .ISO image, but unfortunately I pre-ordered Windows 7 and the only thing they sent me was a way to install from an .EXE. I have the original e-mail with the product key, but I can't find a way to install this as an .ISO so I can start from scratch again. Of course, I can't install from an .ISO if the computer doesn't turn on. So first step is getting this thing on again.

The machine is a Lenovo ThinkPad T400. Does anyone have any ideas/recommendations? Any help is greatly appreciated - thank you in advance.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

hi thebonafortuna, hate to hear about your Christmas problem. First do you recall the error messages you got? Couple things. unplug the power supply, remove the battery, and unplug the hdd. Plug your power supply in and try to start your computer leaving the hdd & battery out. Do you get a power light? If so shut it off and reinstall the hdd. Restart again. Does the power light come on? Is so shut off and reinstall the battery. Restart again, does the power light come on? If the power light doesn't come on during any of the steps above you might have toasted something when you changed the ram. I don't think Win7 is your culprit. Since it installed and was running. Could be just a coincindence that you got the errors when trying to install McAfee.
G-x

Posted 4 years ago

thebonafortuna
thebonafortuna

Thanks Germ-x. I don't know what it was, but tried what you said, made sure everything was connected properly, and tried booting again and everything seems in order. It seems to be working for now! Thanks for your help, really appreciate it.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

To much of that Christmas eggnog

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!