SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows 7: King of operating systems ......

(16 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by raphoenix
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 589 times

raphoenix
raphoenix

Posted for Information and Comment:

Windows 7: King of operating systems, even when Windows 8 ships
http://blogs.computerworld.com.....2012-07-02

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

Agree.

I am not planning on dumping Window7 for Windows8 any time soon.

Will keep it as long as Microsoft supports it!

Best OS since XP.

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

@CompWiz - DITTO - Win7 is much better than XP.

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

AGREE Windows 7 is about as good as it gets and is really enjoyable. :) :)

I'd like to have one of those MS Win Pro Tablets (NOT RT) to go along with my BIG Build Custom Machines HOWEVER am afraid after reading that the little Windows Tablet PCs will be Cost and Function Prohibitive.
$1000 bucks ????
WOW; too much for Pensioner gadget !!!! (LOL)

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

GKI610
GKI610

I love Windows 7 after several machines on XP, including this Dell XPS desktop capable of 64 bits. I skipped from XP to 7 on it, and couldn't be happier, and seeing what 8 brings to the table(t), I'm not going there. Long live Windows 7!!

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Not going to switch to Windows 8 Pro for even $40 dollar low, low price ????

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=1

Think I'll purchase all I can get. (LOL) (LOL)
==========
For the XP hold out Folks:
Builder MBs ain't gonna have XP drivers next go around just like OEM machines don't have them now.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Give me Vista any day. Absolutely love it :)

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

I'm with LH :)

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Bored with the old. In with the new. My Windows 8 is humming right along.

Hmmmm, wonder if the $40 upgrade will upgrade from the RC.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

I liked Vista but W7 is invisible in use unless someone reminds me...like now. ;)

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

RC to W8 upgrade will work, but only personal data will be save. W7 to W8 (and from Vista SP1) will bring everything over. Programs, data, and settings. XP and RC the same, just data.

MS is pushing real hard to make W8 the king so to speak. Everything will upgrade to W8 Pro basically. The tale would be if s/w vendors move to Metro. To me, Metro looks 'flat', doesn't 'pop' and colors appear muted? I've already seen some app that have that appearance.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Win8 is interesting but not ready for prime time on a PC. Maybe it will be a success on the mobile devices - although Android is making giant steps forward.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

So one day we will all be using Linux ?

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Guys, it isn't the OS, it is the APPS....

If the OS runs the program you want or enables you to do what you want, then that is the OS you need.

Be it a game, like Angry Birds for instance, a DVD creator (yes, each OS has one, but some work better than others, or you own one), or an in-house built app, that will determine your choice of OS.

I don't know of anyone that buys an OS to just run it? Can't do anything with an OS, other than what is built-in. Want only e-mail, browsing, enter a document, they all do that... it is the 'extra' needs that determine what you use.

Thinking of e-mail, even the platform could determine your choice of because you have to enter data to respond to e-mails. Tablet's just don't cut it with on-screen keyboards. Ultra-books might, but the keyboard could be 'small'. Same for Netbooks. Laptops and Desktops are far better for this task for instance.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Irv, I have met many people that didn't know 3rd party apps even existed. They ran their comps "out of the box" so to speak.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

LH, exactly, they got what was on the h/w they bought which would do the job for them. It wasn't the OS, although, depending on user knowledge it might be. Otherwise they got what the salesman or friend told them would do the job. They didn't go out and look for W7 lets say and then discovered it would do the job for them.

If one doesn't have in mind a need for a specific tool/app, then anything would do, no? However I can't imagine anyone buying something without a need? Would you buy a computer 'just to have one'?

I'd assume for most of those people WebTV would suffice, except I don't think you can print or save data with it, but you can do e-mail and surf with it.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!