The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows 7 keeps telling me there are multiple networks

(2 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by mjschmidt
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 5155 times

mjschmidt

When I have my laptop connected to my network via Cat5 cable (and wireless modem is OFF), it tells me it is connected to 2 networks, and won't give me internet access.

I go through the steps of disabling the network card, deleting the networks, and re-enabling the network card, which works.

Then i go to work and connect to the wired network there, which I set up as a Work network (as opposed to Home).

When I go back home and try to connect to my wired network, it once again tells me it is connecting to two networks, and I have to go through the whole process again.

Why is this happening, and is there some way to set up my wired networks so windows 7 always connects properly, and knows which network is which?

thanks!

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Greetings, mjschmidt of Planet Earth! I'm not the expert in Windows networking, but I think that you are having trouble from binding two network connections to the same network adapter. You are using the same wired ethernet port at home and at work, right? If so, then you have told Windows that there *are* two networks on that adapter. I didn't even think that it was possible to do that.

I used to have a laptop from work that I would sometimes take home. The easiest way to set this up is to create one network connection that uses DHCP to get an IP and other information. The same network adapter can connect to a DHCP server at work and get IP information and at home and get different IP information. This assumes that you have a DHCP server at work, but that's a safe bet.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.