SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Windows 7 is taking a long delay after every mouse click.

(7 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by pinguino1
  • Latest reply from pinguino1
  • Topic Viewed 4853 times

pinguino1

This is a 2 week old Satellite A505 with windows 7/64. with core duo at 2.2 MHz. 4GB RAM with an incredible snappy feeling.

But in the las few few days it has develop a noticeable delay after every mouse click.(The blue delay circle always comes up). This happens opening a program, clicking on a file, closing a browser, everywhere! it's very intense specially during the first 10-15 minutes after booting it up. By the way booting up is irregular sometimes very quick 2-3 minutes sometimes 5-7 minutes.

I checked the task manager and it shows 3.5 GB Ram used and 50-60% CPU usage even with no Apps open.

Did I set the wrong option somewhere?
Where should I start looking for the problem?

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

pinguino1,
---
Since we don't know how you configured the machine or what other software is on the system, suggest you Clean Install the O/S again. Just guessing at configurations changes you have made would be a long process.
---
For sure some process, service or task is driving up the CPU utilization all the time.
---
Try:

Autoruns
http://technet.microsoft.com/e......aspxruns.
OR
Task Manager
C:\Windows\system32\taskmgr.exe
(Ctr+Alt+Del) and choose Task Manager
OR
MSConfig
"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools\System Configuration.lnk"
%windir%\system32\msconfig.exe
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

pinguino1

I just noticed that wmpnetwk.exe is eating 50% of my CPU even with no apps running. I suspect it is taking also at least 2GB of RAM.

I believe it is related to Windows Media. But it is not open.

What I do to control that process? at least when it is not needed.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

In "Services", set the Windows media entries (all of them) to "manual".
Reboot.

Does that help ?

Posted 4 years ago

pinguino1

Thanks LH,
You put me in the right track. I set it to manual and I stop it. CPU% went down significantly.

However, every time after restarting, WMPNETWK.EXE starts again at booting. I checked the Resources Monitor in the Task Manager and I see how despite of not opening anything it was taking more CPU % every moment. I went back to Services and I stopped again (still was in MANUAL). The CPU usage went down.

To make sure the the media streaming was disabled I open the Advanced Sharing Options and It was something strange there: It says "Media streaming is on" I click in the "Choose media streaming options..." and it says Media Streaming is NOT turned on" So, it is or it is not?

Finally I decided to open the WM Player The CPU usage went up to 100% and stays there. If I click in a song it takes a short while before the song starts playing. Playing a stupid song should not take any resources I have a dual core CPU! I can't believe that WMP is using all the CPU "Retrieving media info" and "updating the media library" . Could you please tell me if it will ever finish "retrieving" and "updating" or how I disable that access. I just want to listen to a song and have a system with a quick response.

Note: if I wait 5 or 10 minutes the WMP finally become responsive. (but it keeps retrieving info) I don't want to wait 5 minutes to listen to a song and have my system back.

Please throw me another hint, I will try to figure this out.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Personally, I would disable all those services, and not allow access to Windows Media in Default Programs, and install this instead,
http://www.filehippo.com/download_vlc/

If you don't want to do that, please say so, and i'll think again.

Do you stream music or video off the net ?

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

pinguino1

Thanks again LH,
I decided to disable all those services, I need them casually, so it's no problem. If I need it I just turn it on.
The system is back again very quick and responsive.
The only thing is if I open WM Player it takes a lot of resource for a couple minutes but then is OK. When I close it the process still runs in the background but without annoyances.
i'm considering the VLC media player. Thanks for the tip.

I'm sure your post will help a LOT other people who have the same problem.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!