How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Windows 7 is it worth it

(13 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by ibbill
  • Latest reply from gadgetlover
  • Topic Viewed 1715 times

ibbill

price for a complete new install here in Canada HERE

Members running windows 7 is it worth paying that much or would you suggest staying with xp pro.

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent

Bill - There are lots of reviews on this site and others. That's something you have to research and decide for yourself. What's worth it for me may not be worth it for you. As far as my system goes......Yes it's worth it.
Make sure your current system can handle the minimum requirements at least. Of course, anyone will tell you the minimum is just that. You want a system that has greater than minimum requirements to really make it worth it.
What are your specs now? What will you be using it for?

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam

Read "The pros and cons of switching to Windows 7" on the Windows Secrets newsletter.

Accepted Answer · Posted 5 years ago

ibbill

InDiSent and BobJam thanks for your input very insightful. I have passed this information on to the rest of my family. They have around 12 computers.Only 2 that I know of are running vista.

Must say 2 of them have almost switch completely to ubuntu as I have also

.After reading the pros and cons I am going to suggest to them that they stay with Xp Pro and when it's time to buy a new laptop or desktop they can figure they saved between 250.00 to 350.00 by getting the disk and system on the new computer. Must also add that there is a 13% extra tax on the prices I posted.(ouch)

Thanks again. Bill

Posted 5 years ago

Niks

if you r going to switch to seven on an XP machine, its a good descision. but i think, its not worth installing it on a vista machine, coz there is no influencing differences b/w vista and seven. But if one wants to waste his dollars for just an improved taskbar, then i m speechless...

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam

@ ibbill,

I also have switched to Ubuntu . . . about a year ago . . . and haven't looked back since. Took me about two weeks to get comfortable with it, but now as far as I'm concerned . . . UBUNTU ROCKS!!

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent

Ubuntu 9.10 tomorrow.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam

ibbill

Have never really grasped the ins and outs of the command lines but always found the help on the site to get me over any hurdles I face.
One more sleep and it will be here. Think I will go to bed early tonight. lol

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam

Was intimidated by the command line at first, but have learned it gradually now . . . still learning, but it's getting to make more sense to me. Nevertheless, it still amazes me when someone on a Ubuntu forum gives lines and lines of commands.

Posted 5 years ago

corana

Am running Vista on a Toshiba Laptop, wondered about getting Windows 7 so ran the prog that tells you if it can. All was ok apart from one thing - I have 2 Gb of Memory, which is, as usual, less than the actual 2 Gb, but the prog said that I needed more memory, so does that mean that I can't run Windows 7 with my present 2 Gb memory?

Thanks

Corana

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Corana, don't worry. My win7 runs in 320MB (at idle). You will be fine - even with only 1GB. Interestingly enough MS specifies 1GB minimum for the Home editions and 2GB minimum for Ultimate. I see no reason why.

PS: for next time I suggest you post your own thread rather than highjacking another thread. You just get better attention that way.

Posted 5 years ago

gadgetlover

I'm afraid I have to disagree with Niks and add that in my (very humble) opinion, it is worth upgrading from Vista Home Preium to Windows 7 Home Premium, because not only is it a far leaner OS but the search facility is sooooooooo much quicker than on any previous version of Windows! Instead of sitting there waiting ages for the search results to come up and then maybe having to do an advanced search because the search didn't show any results, as was so often the case on Win 98, XP Pro and Vista Home Premium, in Windows 7, you simply type your search words into the search box at the start menu - and dozens of results appear almost instantaneously! And on the very rare occasion when you don't find what you are searching for immediately and you click on "more search results" the search page opens immediately and so far, I have always found the file I wanted! So for that alone, I feel that the measly £64 that I paid for the Retail version of Windows 7 from Amazon UK (which comes with two separate discs for the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions!) was well worth the investment - particularly as it also allowed me to upgrade my OS to a 64-bit one!!!

Yes, after a little bit of tinkering to get Windows 7 just the way I like it, I think it is the best version of Windows that Microsoft has ever produced and I would have no hesitation at all in recommending it to anyone!

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.