The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Windows 7 Install Partition Related Question

(17 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Burnt
  • Latest reply from Berrymartin
  • Topic Viewed 377 times

Burnt

I'm new to Win 7 (coming from XP). During the windows install process, I desire C (50GB), D (70GB), and E (120GB) volumes on the same drive and create those volumes via the New option. Once I have made 3 partitions (windows not loaded yet nor formatted), I proceed to the next step. The software then proceeds to automatically format one of the partitions and loads windows without input from the user (me). It seems to pick either the last partition made or the largest partition (haven't sorted that out yet) and labels it C drive. Of course it doesn't pick the partition what I intended for my C drive. What is the best way to accomplish this (within the bounds of using Windows 7 and not 3rd party software)? By the way, this is a new SSD drive. I have seen a posts by other getting into DOS (DiskPart, etc.), would like to stick with the standard Windows 7 install or repair process if possible. Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

If you have already loaded Windows once, then you need to Clean Up the SSD per this article first.

How to securely erase an SSD drive
http://howto.cnet.com/8301-113.....ssd-drive/

I know you don't like Diskpart but it is The Best Way to do what you want to do very quickly and easily.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

Burnt hi
This might help. Couple of things to remember is the alignment whe setting up the SSD. You can make your 3rd partition after windows is installed
http://knowing-itech.blogspot......-more.html
http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....nment.html

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

After you have done the Secure Erase, run these commands:

Diskpart
List disk
Select disk n (where n is the number that was given for your SSD in List disk)
Clean
Create partition primary align=1024 size=50000
Format fs=ntfs quick
Active
Exit

Then install into that partition. I know you do not like Diskpart, but it is the best way of doing it. Else you might be struggling around for a long time and end up with an unaligned OS partition (3 times slower)

The other partitions you can define with Disk Management once your Windows 7 is running.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Burnt

Thanks for all the replies ... I'll do the Secure Erase (I've already done this once before, but wasn't sure that I had done something incorrectly to not get my C drive installed where I wanted it, so tried again yielding the same story). So, will proceed and not make the additional partitions until Windows is loaded and up and running.

Couple follow-up questions:
1. Will using the partition shrink or extend command alter the desired alignment for the SSD blocks?
2. I have been using the MSINFO32 command to check alignment. Is this the best thing to use (I'm using Win 7 Prof 64bit; no such thing as MSINFO64?)

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Windows 7 will align correctly without using Align Command.

We use it in Diskpart just to Ensure we have SSD Geometry Correct.

If you don't allocate all the SSD space First, you will end up with a 4th 100MB Boot Partition.

I can walk you through Diskpart installation so this won't happen if you wish ??

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

Burnt

"Windows 7 will align correctly without using Align Command" .... that's why I initially thought it might be useful to stick with the Win 7 tools. Where would this 4th partition come from (assume you are not talking about the 100MB Reserved Partition)?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Windows will always try to make Two partitions to include the 100MB Partition IF the HDD or SSD is not Fully Partitioned BEFORE installation.

Posted 1 year ago

Burnt

One other thing ... this is a Samsung SSD, instructions are pretty poor. It mentions leaving 7-10% unallocated space for efficiency purposes, although I've also read on the internet that this may not be required or is done automatically by the supplied Samsung Magician software. Any comments on this?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Over Provisioning was touted in the past however is not really necessary if you plan to use the computer for normal desktop duty.

The SSD will outlast the usefulness of the computer in most all cases without Over Provisioning.

Posted 1 year ago

Burnt

I'm brain dead on this one ... we need this extra 100mb Reserved partition to house the MBR don't we? I could be wrong, but what I recollect from my previous installs is that I made all the partitions, specifically leaving some unallocated space (per the Samsung instructions), and then loaded Windows and did not notice anything new except the 100mb Reserved partition. I was intending to follow the WHS reply above. Are you saying if I do that, and partition only 50GB that I will end up with another 100mb partition (perhaps one I have read about previously which is used for Bit Locker)? Sorry if I'm being dense on this (not unusual as I'm an old fart). I appreciate your help. Gotta go check my bbq chicken for a couple minutes.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

The 100MB MBR Boot Partition is ONLY necessary if you want to employ Bit Locker, other wise is a mess to cope with.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

At first installation Halt Screen, Press Shift + F10 for a Command Prompt Screen.
Type in:

Diskpart <Press Enter>

List disk <Press Enter>

Select disk n (where n is the number that was given for your SSD in List disk) <Press Enter>

Clean <Press Enter>

Create partition primary align=1024 size=50000 <Press Enter>

Format fs=ntfs quick <Press Enter>

Active <Press Enter>

Create partition primary size=70000 <Press Enter>

Create partition primary <Press Enter>

Exit <Press Enter>

Exit <Press Enter>

Dismiss COMPLETELY out of current Installation and let computer Reboot for new installation.

Choose First Partition to completely install Windows in.

After Installation of all drivers and before loading updates, do this:
The SSD Optimization Guide
http://thessdreview.com/ssd-gu.....guide-2/2/

Rick P. [ whs and Me are probably older than You :) ]

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

If you get on with it as I have posted above, you will not get the 100MB partition which is a real pain down the line. And the bitlocker function is anyhow only available in the Ultimate and Enterprise editions.

Posted 1 year ago

Burnt

Great ... I'll follow your guide! I'm impressed with the help and kindness on this site. Restores a little faith in this ever increasing death spiral the country and world seem to be in.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I would not be too pessimistic. Things are getting better. People start realizing that we have only one planet to live on and start to work together - although at a slower pace than most of us would like.

Posted 1 year ago

Berrymartin

I was looking for this kind of forum on internet for few days. Actually my window have also same problem of partition. I have found your forum very helpful. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Berry

Edit by mod. You are welcome here, but please don't spam again, or you will be blocked.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!