The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Windows 7 hibernate

(14 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by RRRoman
  • Latest reply from LadyFitzgerald
  • Topic Viewed 655 times

RRRoman

Here's the deal: I have windows 7 professional 64bits desktop. By default it seems not to have any hibernate option. Hibernate itself is on and working. (tested through cmd "shutdown /h"). Both power management and taskbar and start menu properties seem to miss the GUI option to set computer in hibernation mode. So is there a way to get it?

Bonus: Is there a way to replace the function of shutdown button from sending "shutdown" to send "shutdown /h" so when I press on shutdown it actually goes to hibernation mode?

Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Do you have it ?
info,
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....delete-it/

Posted 1 year ago

alvasrawuther

This worked for me. Tell me if it's of any help.

1. Open Command Prompt with Administrator rights. To open Command Prompt, type CMD in Start menu and then hit Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open the Command Prompt with Admin rights.
2. Next, type the below command and hit enter:
powercfg /hibernate on
3. Type exit and hit enter to close the Command Prompt.
4. If you can’t see the Hibernate option in Start menu then do the following tasks:
A. Type Power Options in Start menu and hit enter.
B. In the left pane, open the link labeled “Change when the computer sleeps” and then open the link “Change advanced power settings”.
C. Expand the Sleep tree and turn off Hybrid Sleep.
D. Now go back to Start menu to see the new Hibernate entry.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

btw, Hibernate, Sleep, and Screensaver, cause more problems than a herd of goats wandering around your house. I suggest you disable all 3.

Posted 1 year ago

RRRoman

Thanks. Didn't know that the Hybrid sleep had to be off.

also found kind of an answer to bonus. It changes to what happens when I push the power button on the PC.

Posted 1 year ago

RRRoman

What sort of problems?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Too many to list.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Granted, it's a long list but mayhap you could tell what a few of the worst offenders are?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

One of the main problems is that the system does not properly return from hibernate causing loss of work that the user should have saved before hibernate.

Creates a large file which slows down backups and Security software scans.

Often does not work as designed.

The majority of the savings can easily be accomplished by simply turning off the monitor only.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Worst is the system does not return at all. Best is they mess up various services and programs. (and they can be a right pain to diagnose)

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

A shortlist from experience is;

Inability to come out of hibernation, sleep ( especially after an M$ update ) Excessive reboots required!
Open docs lost because of this after reboot.

From M$;
'Sleep is a power-saving state that allows a computer to quickly resume full-power operation (typically within several seconds) when you want to start working again. Putting your computer into the sleep state is like pausing a DVD player—the computer immediately stops what it’s doing and is ready to start again when you want to resume working.

Hibernation is a power-saving state designed primarily for laptops. While sleep puts your work and settings in memory and draws a small amount of power, hibernation puts your open documents and programs on your hard disk, and then turns off your computer. Of all the power-saving states in Windows, hibernation uses the least amount of power. On a laptop, use hibernation when you know that you won't use your laptop for an extended period and won't have an opportunity to charge the battery during that time.

Hybrid sleep is designed primarily for desktop computers. Hybrid sleep is a combination of sleep and hibernate—it puts any open documents and programs in memory and on your hard disk, and then puts your computer into a low-power state so that you can quickly resume your work. That way, if a power failure occurs, Windows can restore your work from your hard disk. When hybrid sleep is turned on, putting your computer into sleep automatically puts your computer into hybrid sleep. Hybrid sleep is typically turned on by default on desktop computers.'

An article to read;

http://www.howtogeek.com/10289.....n-windows/

Screensavers are not required on a modern monitor, they were there to protect the old CRT monitors. However, SS are still written, stay resident ( in mode set ) and some are written with much malevolent code.

With the proverbial 33 foot bargepole, disable all the above options

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

alvasrawuther

I don't think that disabling all of the above would be a good option. Although the disadvantages you stated were true, I don't think that it's worth turning off these features entirely. Most modern laptops and many desktop computers don't take more than 6-8 seconds to recover from Sleep and get you into a ready-to-work desktop environment.
And while turning off the monitor will save almost the same amount of energy as when the computer is in Sleep mode. Hibernation saves a lot more amount of power - which is especially useful on laptops. And waking up from Hibernation is quite faster than starting the computer up all over again.

@Xhi - You can just save your work before going to hibernation. It's still faster than a cold boot up. You can easily exclude hiberfil.sys from backup and security scans. Simply turning off the monitor does not save as much amount of energy as hibernation.

@vistamike - Although the primary purpose for which screensavers were made is irrelevant now. Screensavers still are relevant. Some screensavers provide info about the system, weather, news headlines,etc. and some add a nice touch of personalization. Technology changes and with it its uses change, so you just cannot cite a historical reason to stop using screensavers now.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Turning off the monitor saves 90% of the total. For Hibernate and sleep to not mess up my computer it is worth it. But whatever you save, I'll use it so do not worry. My 8 Computers are on, screens off when not in use, 24/7/365. I got my resources the old fashioned way, I EARNED them! and I will USE them.

But, on the brighter side I will be here to help you when your hibernate/sleep screws up. I'm just that kind of guy.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Thanks for the short lists of problems Hibernate can cause. I've thought about using it but won't now. I have used sleep occasionally on my notebook (when on AC).

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.