The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows 7 HDMI to TV screen resolution

(2 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by jenn21dw
  • Latest reply from ProstheticHead
  • Topic Viewed 315 times

jenn21dw

I have had my laptop hooked up to my 37" magnavox flat screen for more than a year now. It was great, in perfect proportion automatically when i hooked it up until yesterday when my 3 yr old decided to push a bunch of buttons on the laptop and managed to mess the display up. Now I cant get it to go back, the best way i know to describe it is like when you watch a movie not in widescreen, and it shows black along the sides. I tried adjusting the resolution, but it makes the screen fit fully while all of the icons, words etc are tiny. I just want to get it back to where it was in perfect ratio hopefully without doing a system restore. Any ideas what combo of buttons he pushed (seemed to be in the upper left area of the keyboard) or how i can get it back? Thanks a ton in advance for any help! And p.s. my laptop screen is cracked so i can only see about 1/6 of the picture on it, and from what i see - it is screwy looking too. The screen is filled but everything is out of proportion.

Posted 1 year ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

Hi there. Have you checked that the TV is set as your primary display? In windows 7, pressing the Windows key + P will cycle screen modes, and laptops sometimes have special keys for the same purpose. It could also be that your TV is trying to mirror the smaller screen, which can cause weirdness in certain hardware configurations.

If you go into screen resolution (Right click desktop>Screen Resolution) you can set your primary display from there. Look also for a function key with a symbol that resembles a screen. Pressing it together with the 'Fn' key might solve your problem.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.