SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows 7 fresh install missing boot manager! All help appreciated!

(3 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by KatanaRama
  • Latest reply from KatanaRama
  • Topic Viewed 1109 times

KatanaRama

Okay so here was my situation:

I have two PC's; one had not been finished and had a blank HDD in it. The other had Vista Ultimate 32-Bit on it. The unfinished PC is going to be a secondary PC that I can use whilst at home and will have the HDD from the other PC with Vista 32 on it.

Still with me?

The other computer is a high performance PC i built which I use whilst at Uni and will have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 installed.

Whilst installing Windows 7, I left both the blank and the HDD with Vista on it inside the PC. I installed Windows 7 with no hiccups on blank HDD. Everything works fine - I can access the other HDD with no problems etc.

So here's when it goes wrong: obviously, I need to remove the Vista HDD to put in my other PC. But when I do that, it says 'Boot MGR is missing, press ctrl+alt+delete' etc. When I put the HDD back in, suddenly it works fine.

It may be worth saying that with both HDD's in I can select which OS to boot into - which I believe is how it should be. I have tried using the OS repair disc to no avail - no problems are detected...

Apologies for making this post rather wordy but I thought it best to explain my situation as best I could. I am also aware that another member has experienced similar problems, however his circumstances appear different enough for the need of another post.

Thanks to all those who can help!

Cheers!

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

KTR,
just a thought but your hdd with Vista is probably listed as your active drive so when you remove it the Windows 7 hdd cannot boot. You might want to get a good application to help correct the problem from link below:
http://www.partition-recovery.com/

Posted 4 years ago

KatanaRama

Thanks a lot germ, has taken a long time to get a response on this!

I'll have a look and hopefully post with results.

If anyone else has any suggestions, please post as I would be very grateful.

Thanks.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.