How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Windows 7 extra ico files

(9 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by LarrySr
  • Latest reply from GKI610
  • Topic Viewed 13807 times

LarrySr
LarrySr

In older versions of Windows there were always extra ico files you could use if you did not like the ico assigned to a program. Does Windows 7 have extra ico files and if so how can I find were they are so I can use them?

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

Are you getting to the shortcut's Properties and navigating to change icons? Or are these shortcut icons assigned by installed programs?
The answer is there are more icons in the shell folder, under the same circumstances as before. Can you give more info on what you're trying to do?

Posted 4 years ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

I wrote a software package quite a few years ago to take care of all my mailing labels for every special event that takes place during the entire year. I keeps all my addresses and reminds me when to send a card, etc. It then can print the labels needed. At the time I wrote it I was running under Windows 98, I told you it was quite a few years ago. I just moved to Windows 7 and everything works except the icon I created shows blank. I decided that I would just select an icon from someplace else to use with this software but I cannot find any extra icons or ico files. So if you know where there are extra icons I could select from please tell me how to access them. I right clicked on the short cut for my software, went to the change icon button but from there I am lost. How do I get to the "shell folder" from here?

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

What showed when you cicked the Change Icon button? Should be a little window with a few or many choices.

Posted 4 years ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

The only thing that showed was the ico file I had created for the application. It was stored in the directory for the application. That is where I put it when I created it many years ago. The funny this is it showed with the picture I created but when It is used by the application it shows blank! What I need to know is how to find that shell folder you were talking about.

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

In win 7 this path finds it: C:\Windows\system32\SHELL32.dll - Typed into explorer's search box brings you to the .dll containing all the icons available, but I don't know how to move it to where you can access it. Pasting that path into the "Look for icons in this file" box may do the trick; pasting, & OKing it, closing & opening it would work, IMHO.

Posted 4 years ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

Thank you for your help. I found the shell32.dll but it would not let me use these icons with my application. I even make a copy of it, moved it to another directory and it still would not let me use these icons. I guess I will have to live with a blank icon for my old application. I guess I should be glad it still work in Windows 7.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Try browsing for the C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll file within the change icon box.

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

Hey, some new ones! Worked for one of my problem Icons - Thanks, LH.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.