I keep trying to install Windows 7 on my laptop but everytime I get to where it is loading, I have entered all the username and passwords and stuff and then it goes error. something about a RECOVERY.DAT
Windows 7 Error(3 posts)
You have to go to the BIOS.
Try starting your computer in safe mode, follow these steps:
1. Restart your computer if it is powered on.
2. Tap the F8 key after your computer initially powers on.
3. Once you see the Advanced Boot Options menu you can stop tapping.
4. Use the up/down arrow keys to highlight your selection.
5. Select Safe Mode with Networking and press Enter.
6. You should see drivers loading, and then Please wait.
7. You should then be at the Welcome Screen.
8. Logon to your computer using an account with Administrator privileges.
Once you boot the computer to ‘Safe Mode’, if it works there You can try to set your computer to clean boot to check if any of the services running in the background are causing the issue. Here are the steps to set the computer under clean boot:
To perform a clean boot follow these steps:
1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
5. Click OK.
6. When you are prompted, click Restart.
7. After the computer starts, check if the issue is fixed.
If your issue is resolved after performing Clean Boot, then follow the steps mentioned in the following KB article to narrow down the exact source:
Steps to return your computer to a Normal startup mode, Reset the computer to start as usual
1.After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:
2.Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
3.On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.
4.When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.
This topic has been closed to new replies.