The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows 7 Drivers

(19 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by troyay
  • Latest reply from troyay
  • Topic Viewed 1952 times

troyay

When i installed winodws 7 it came with the stranded VGA video driver. This means my overall rating for my preference is 1.. meaning i can't use all the nice visual things like aero. This also means i wouldn't be able to play games like company of heroes. The drivers i need is . But there is no ones for windows 7, and the vista ones do not work. Any ideas? Thanks alot

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Hi troyay, welcome to HTG. Could you please tell us what graphics card you are using, and if your Windows 7 32 or 64 bit is? Matt

Posted 4 years ago

troyay

hi, sorry the link didnt work before. Im meant to have http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfr.....ct=3562231 (hope this is what you need.. not very good with things) And im running 64bit. Windows 7 installed some horrible "standard VGA Graphics adapter". My base score thing was 3.9 or somthing when i had vista.

Thanks alot. Troy

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Do you have an onboard graphic chip or a graphics card? It would help if I knew exactly what I am looking for. Go to Control Panel-> Hardware and Sound -> Device Manager ->Display Adapters and tell me what is written please. Matt

Posted 4 years ago

troyay

"standard vga graphics adapter" I thought i had a graphics chip, but i may be wrong.

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

troyay are you using a laptop? If so what is the make and model number?

Posted 4 years ago

troyay

yes i am. its a hp pavilions dv6500. product number is: GZ415PA#ABG.

Posted 4 years ago

troyay

i just tryed launching company of heroes after re-installing it after getting windows 7, and it said i do not meet the recommended requirements. On vista i could run it on medium settings.. this is just reinforcing for me that something has changed, and im not just being dumb.

sorry for the blabber

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

There are a few different dv6500 models, have a look here to see which one is yours. Download the Vista 64 bit driver and see if anything gets better, I can´t find any 7 drivers yet but there will have to be some out soon, the official launch date is in 3 days!!

Posted 4 years ago

troyay

ok, thank you. When i do get the right driver for my computer, will this push up my overall rating? Do you have any idea what it would be when i do get it, and do you know why having the one windows 7 gives you pushes it down so much

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

troyay, the rating is ranked differently in Window 7 scoring up to 7 or 7,9, whereas Vista only scored up to 5,9. But these are just figures produced by Microsoft and don´t really mean that much. Win 7 is a newer OS so older hardware won´t score as high as it did in an older OS (Vista). Even if your score is lower it shouldn´t make a difference to how your game (COH) reacts because your hardware is still the same as it was before, so it´s all down to the driver!! Matt

Posted 4 years ago

troyay

do you think if my graphics card could before run COH, and COD4 etc before hand.. in your opinion.. do you think it would be able to run aero? Sorry to be a bother

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Matt has just gone to bed. He will be about tomorrow.
If you type Control color in a run box, do you see Windows Aero in the Color scheme panel ?

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

troyay, I couldn´t really tell you if aero will work or not, as I don´t know the exact graphic chip you have!! If you had Vista installed before W7 and you could use aero then you should be able to use it now. Do as LH said and see if you can enable it. Matt

Posted 4 years ago

cobija

to answer your question troy (since im a pc gamer as well) i have not tried windows 7, but when you get drivers specific for your video card or adapter or whatever you are using, it usually fixes bugs/improves performance.

Posted 4 years ago

troyay

-LH, i do not see aero in the colour scheme panel. I have been looking on hp website for driver updates for windows 7 on my model and there is only wireless assistance.

Posted 4 years ago

troyay

-matt, i didnt know there was aero on vista. (unless that's all the colour schemes on that, and transparency etc.) When im in the colour schemes section it dose not appear, there is a link at the bottom of the customization section saying "troubleschoot problems with trasparency and other aero effects. This just ends up saying my graphics card is rubbish. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Thanks, Troy

Posted 4 years ago

troyay

the exact message from trouble shooting is: "the current video card driver isn't compatible with the windows display driver (WDDM)

Posted 4 years ago

troyay

my driver i was using on vista was : NVIDIA GeForce Series Video Driver, version 7.15.11.7713. I have tryed downloading the 64bit vista version of this, but no show.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!