The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows 7 compatible software?

(15 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by ZoroBStar
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 2065 times

ZoroBStar

Hello, I'm new here and I'm wondering...

Did you test your favorite software on Windows 7 RC?
I already tested mine (Firefox, Mil Shield, LavaSoft Firewall and others) and they work perfectly on the RC.

Posted 4 years ago

Beauseph
Beauseph

Hello ZoroBStar, welcome! I tested Windows 7 out and all of the software I use run fine with the OS. Although the software I use is made for 32-bit OS and works on my XP, Vista, and windows 7, which all are 32-bit OS. So I never really have much conflicts.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

ZoroBStar, hello. We have had some similar threads in the past, but it has been a while. I am now running Windows 7 RC as my primary OS and it has run everything that I have thrown at it. I will work on putting together a list of apps that I have working.

Posted 4 years ago

ColinAirlie
ColinAirlie

Scott I've been considering running it as my Primary OS for a while (I plan to buy it when it's released anyway), is it worth the doing? I'm on Vista Home Premium at the mo.

Col

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

Col, you should be able to buy an "Update kit" upon release. I've got 3 Vista licenses but I'll probably wait a few months before upgrading. I'll need the time to save up some cash anyway, unless Micro$oft seriously change their pricing plan.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Col, I still have Vista Home Premium, which came with my primary system, installed on a separate drive. That had been my primary OS, but I wanted to experiment with Windows 7. I installed the RC about 8 weeks ago on a 2nd hard drive and started testing my applications. For a while, I was booting back to Vista as my primary OS, but once I had a certain set of core apps loaded in Win7, I hardly ever boot the Vista install anymore.

I like Windows 7, can't recall any major compatibility issues, and find it at least as stable as Vista. I would recommend that anyone who is curious should try it. And when I say "try it", I mean that you should start with a dual boot or run it on another system or in a Virtual Machine.

Posted 4 years ago

ColinAirlie
ColinAirlie

Okey Dokey, I'll probably give it a go in a Virtual Machine. Any partiular ones work better than others?

Col

Posted 4 years ago

ZoroBStar

well, most of software that run on Vista run also on Windows 7.I'm running now Windows 7 and it has great compatibility surroundings.I have mil shield and lavasoft firewall to.No problems.

Posted 4 years ago

alfred

ZoroBStar, you say that twice. Mil shield and Lavasoft firewall are amazing software, everybody knows that but I don't like Win7, I don't know maybe too much Vista.

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

Here is a list of paid software that is compatible: http://www.sevenforums.com/sof.....tible.html

Posted 4 years ago

JHubbard92
JHubbard92

@ ColinAirlie

I installed Win7 on Microosft Virtual PC 2007, it worked fine but tbh it will be terrible in regards to performance unless you allocate quite a bit of RAM. Let's just say you won't get the full Win7 experience ;-)

I can't wait to install it properly though.

Posted 4 years ago

baldeguy56
baldeguy56

I have Win7 RC on a separate partition and it's the bomb! Everything seems to run a bit better and faster. An example of this is my overall computer rating in Vista is 5.3. With all things the same, Win7 gives me 5.9. Even downloading files does so at higher kbps. Why this is, I don't quite know. I do plan on buying Win7 and having it as my default OS, so go for it Colin... Garry

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

Don't get too confused by the WEI rating numbers. Win7 has a different scale than Vista. http://www.mydigitallife.info/.....e-tweaked/

Posted 4 years ago

baldeguy56
baldeguy56

Ah, I was wondering why the same hardware and rig could give a different reading of the WEI.

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

Here is another thread that could be useful in the context: http://www.sevenforums.com/sof.....s-7-a.html

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!