The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Windows 7: Bootmgr is missing, press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to restart

(10 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Jim54
  • Latest reply from Jim54
  • Topic Viewed 6983 times

Jim54

I know several people have posted this before but I am still having this issue. Yesterday, I installed a new 2TB harddrive and made it the bootable one. I am not sure if I had the problem from the start or not since before shutting it down and rebooting, I installed abt 28 updates and several programs. However, when I eventually did restart the system... after removing the W7 CD... it gave me the "BOOTMGR is missing" error. I have checked the BIOS setup and all seems right there. I can sometimes but not always boot it from the W7 CD but when I do that, it takes a very long time. The last time I was able to get fully on, I checked my drives/partitions using the W7 "Create a New Partition" tool. The partition where I installed W7 has active, primary, bootable....

Any suggestions about where to look next? Be specific. Know very little about how to move around in the background of Windows.

Posted 4 years ago

Jim54

Additional information: I just tried to repair it. When it asked what drive, the option in the window was Drive E as the Local Drive. I do not have a drive E. When I tell it to load the drivers, the browser also does not show a drive E. However, the local drive is still not drive C. Could this be the problem? If so, how do I fix it?

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Jim54,

http://technet.microsoft.com/e.....90893.aspx

1. Start an install by booting with installation DVD.
2. When it asked what location drive to install to (Second Halt) press <SHIFT><F10> and type in:

diskpart <enter>
list disk <enter>
select disk X <enter> (X = the 2TB Drive Number from above list)
clean all <enter>
list disk <enter>
select disk X <enter> (X = the 2TB Drive Number from above list)
create partition primary <enter>
select partition 1 <enter>
format FS=NTFS <enter> (Could do a Quick Format but let's check the drive)
active <enter>
exit <enter>
Cancel Install and REBOOT Machine with installation Disc loaded.
Clean Install Win 7.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

Jim54

Thank Rick. I took the cover off and disconnected all harddrives except the new one where I wanted to install Drive C. I formated and installed W7 on it. Then one by one I reconnected the others. When I connected the old Drive C: (which I had reformatted after installing the new one ), I got the error again. Apparently, for some reason, it is still looking on the old drive for booting instructions. I checked the Drive letters and I found at least three different sets. When I check this W7 partitioning tool, C: is on the new drive. When I look with Windows Explorer, the new drive it G:. I am not sure why this is happening but it is confusing the h*** out of me and the computer and W7 Installation!

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Jim54,

What is the make and model number of the motherboard or machine ??

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

Jim54

It's an Asalis PSNSLI if I am reading it right. It it not a store bought computer rather someone built it specifically for me. The new harddrive is a WD Caviar Green 2TB 64MB/SATA-3G. I am not sure about the model of the old one.

I followed your instructions above but when I get to "create partition primary" I get an error message that says "The is not enough usable space for this operation". I just noticed the "list disk" lists both of the disks as having 0 B free. Opps just noticed that I skips the "clean all" step. Will try again.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Jim54,

Yep important.

Diskpart
select disk X
---
Syntax
clean [all]

Parameter
all : Specifies that each and every sector on the disk is zeroed, which completely deletes all data contained on the disk.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

Jim54

The "clear all" gives me an error that it cannot be done because that disk has the operating system. I returned to W7 Install and tried reformatting the new drive again. This time I got a warning that it would need to create a new partition that it called "system". I was really hoping this would solve the problem. It also created a C; drive and went through the rest of the installation. However, when I removed the installation CD and restarted the computer, I got the error "Inset the system CD". I inserted it again and it loaded fine. Removed in, turned the compute off, turned it on, and again was told to insert the system disk. I guess my original problem was not knowing how to install a new harddrive and transfer drive C: to the now one. I guess I could remove the old one but that would be a waist of memory.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Jim54,

Something is wrong but I have to think.

This might help.
http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html
Middle of page free full HOME edition.
Download and make Free Boot Disk to Manage and Configure HDs.

Also we need to Download Asus Manual for your PSNSLI motherboard.
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

Jim54

The problem is solved. I still am not sure what was wrong but it is working now. I deleted all partitions, reformatted both harddrives, disconnected the old drive, installed W7 on the new drive, removed the installation CD, restarted several times just to make sure it was all working, reconnected the old drive, restarted the computer several times to make sure it was working... it is.

Thanks Rick for all your help.

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.