The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Windows 7 BOOTMGR is missing on clean HDD

(8 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by amigo
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 4650 times

amigo

I have an HDD that was running Win XP. I used the Win 7 Boot DVD to format the disk. I went into BIOS and changed boot sequence to 1.CD/DVD drive 2. HDD. I get BOOTMGR is missing every time I try to boot. I then disconnected the power to the HDD. Win 7 boots up beautifully, but of course can't find any place to install to. I reconnect power to HDD and Win 7 recognizes it,but says that it cannot install to this disk. I click next anyway, and Win 7 goes to the next screen, but unfortunately it says that is cannot access this disk.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

hi amigo, by chance do you have a 2nd partition on your hdd. Can you reformat you hdd with your winXP cd?

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

amigo

I don't have a winXP cd. I'm not sure where it went. I did have 2 partitions on the hdd previously. By using the technique above (disconnect hdd, boot from Win 7 cd, reconnect hdd so win 7 would see it) I was able to delete the second partition as I had an idea that Win 7 was probably writing BOOTMGR to this other partition and that is why it couldn't find it. This was when I reformatted the hdd as well. Now I have a (supposedly) clean hdd with only one partition but I am getting the same BOOTMGR is missing error when I boot. When I try to install Win7 using the workaround above, it says that there may be an issue with the BIOS.

Update--I am trying to reproduce what happened above and I cannot. Last night I pulled the CMOS battery and let it sit out for a few hours. Now that I put the battery back I can still boot from WIN7 cd if my main hdd is not attached, but when I attach the hdd the interface goes blank and I cannot do anything more. To make it even stranger, I pulled out an old 40 gig hdd and did the same procedure of booting from the cd, then attaching the hdd, and it did recognize the second hdd. I still got the same message that the BIOS may be the issue, but at least it didn't blank the interface. Here is what I am using.

Biostar Tforce 965PT MOBO
Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 chipset

Posted 4 years ago

amigo

One more thing--the cd/dvd drive is a sata drive, and the hdd is ide. I don't know if that matters, but I have heard that others have had issues with sata and microsoft.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

You mentioned you had 2 partitions on the hdd originally. How and what did you use to delete the 2nd partition. Try working with one hdd for now. Have you gone into the BIOS and make sure your Cd/ Dvd is set as #1 in boot sequence and did you verify all settings after reinstalling the battery as you lost your old BIOS settings. Try that and see what happens? I know it is frustrating but you have to use caution when swapping parts as soon one gets confused about which part did what. Still need to know how you deleted that partition.

Posted 4 years ago

amigo

I deleted the partition using the Win7 install disc. But if you read below you will see that this did not seem to work as well as I had thought.

Today I reset all of my BIOS settings and it took care of the disappearing interface (apparently it had something to do with a floppy controller for a floppy that didn't exist). I told you before that I had deleted a second partition on my hdd and created a 'clean' hdd with only one partition. Once I got the disappearing interface thing to go away, I was able to boot from the CD and then reconnect the hdd. I rescanned and lo and behold the original two partitions were back! These were named "system" and "primary". At this point I probably should have stopped and consulted you, but instead I reformatted again and deleted the second partition. This left me with one large partition named 'primary'. The Win7 cd still wouldn't let me do anything, so I created a partition of 100 gigs, leaving me with this partition and one other. I still couldn't do anything, so I rebooted, but this time I left the hdd attached, and IT BOOTED UP FROM CD!!! I got kind of excited at this point. In addition, when I got to the win7 screen where it asks where you want to install, it did not tell me that my hdd would not work. Hooray!!. I picked the first partition and the install began. After 30 seconds it stopped and said: 'Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070017". When I click 'OK', it pops up ''D:\Sources\DU.DLL is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support." I then tried to install it to the other partition and got the same responses.

If I get an IDE to USB adaptor can I completely format my hdd using a laptop runing XP Pro? Should I just break down and buy a new hdd? Thanks again for your help.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

Have you tried just deleting all partitions, running an app called Dban, you can get it here and inserting the install dvd? Let windows find everything. Just work with one hdd. I would also suggest you run Dban on your other drive if you don't have any important data.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

amigo,
---
Nuke the HD per g-x instructions above.
---
Start Win7 installation from Installation DVD.
---
At place where installation ask where you want Win7 to install:
A. Hold down Shift + F10 keys to enter Command Prompt.
B. Type in [ diskpart ]
C. Type in [ select disk 0 ]
D. Type in [ create partition primary ]
Close Command Prompt, choose Disk 0 Primary Partition for installation and proceed.
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.